• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

newbie Familiar and Feats questions

Kulstor

First Post
My character is level 2, almost half way to level 3. I have no familiar as of yet, but I was wondering if I should get a familiar and what type may be best.

Also I think I get a feat at level 3. A bit early maybe but since I'm new to 3.5 I was wondering some opinions also for some feats I may want to get once my warforged wizard gets to level 3.

Not sure what information you may need me to put down.

PolterGhost

First Post
Familiar Handbook is great for if you grab Improved Familiar. Gives you a great idea what to go for.

If you level every other session, I'd advise waiting around for that since the cost for unsummoning a familiar (a paltry 200xp per character level lost, plus an annoying Year-and-a-day wait time for summoning a new familiar) can make it difficult to obtain a new one in reasonable time.

If you have a Druid in the party that can Speak With Animals, grab a bat, a hawk, or an owl for excellent scouting. I'd personally go for the bat since it offers Blindsense and sports some good stealth skills, but a hawk can be upgraded for some extra combat use and offers a +3 to Spot (far better than a +3 to Listen in most cases.)

Otherwise, remember that your familiar isn't JUST there for giving you a skill boost. It's there for delivering touch spells on the fly (buffing, damaging, and the rest) as well as being combat capable with a proper Transmutation spell. Preferably you will want a flying familiar since they have faster movement speeds, can maneuver out of the line of fire, can gain the usage of the wonderful flying feats, and can (with flyby attack) deliver a spell charge and return halfway to you in the same movement.

Aside from that, follow the guide. It gives excellent pointers on Improved Familiar and spellcasting choice.

PolterGhost

First Post
Since it was brought up that you're going to 3rd level, a few questions:

Current Ability Scores
Current Feats
Current Skills
Specializing?
Character Concept
Books Allowed
Multiclassing Plans?

Last edited:

Kulstor

First Post
He does a home rules so some things are different then the usual 3.5. So folks don't get feats at the levels they normally do, but he improves the feat or feats they have, to keep things simpler, like everyone starts out with all class skills and they go up by 1 every time you gain a level. And there are some at the stating level that you can put 4 ranks into instead of the default 1. It does keep things simpler, especially for beginners.

For example, I have no familiar so the feat I get is I can choose a first level spell to put onto his body, I assume etching it in, so he can use that to prepare a spell even if he looses his spell book he can still prepare that spell. And at the next level I can pick a 2nd level or 1st to put (I guess etch or something) onto his body.

I was thinking of etching (carving or whatever it is) Mage Armor since I have bought a scroll of that but it's not in the spell book. I thought that one since it has a nice long duration and if something happens to his spell book it may help keep him alive since it boosts his ac, and could help the party too.

As for familiar I"m not sure between the bat and the hawk. I looked over the familiar handbook from the link provided. The bat seems to have blindsense and some stealth and the hawk a very good spot.

As for multiclassing I was thinking, for now, with just remaining a wizard. Later on I may multi class, or I may not.

Str - 8
Dex 14
Con 18
Int 18
Wis - 8
Cha 10

Current feats: Scribe Scroll, Summon Familiar, Arcane Body (looses the warforged armor stuff, but also means he has no arcane spell failure & I think that he can wear robes now too).

Last edited:

Kulstor

First Post
No Druid in the group. The Group has 2 clerics and a thief. One of the clerics has a raven familiar, if that matters any.

The stats may seem high, but he has 2 selections for stats. 1 he said is for classes that benefit from having 1 or 2 stats high and the other is a bit more balanced he said is best for classes that benefit from having more balanced stats. I guess like Paladins and others maybe. Keeps things simpler and more fair.

irdeggman

First Post
Clerics don't get familiars nor do they get animal companions.

The obtain familiar feat (from Comlete Arcane) - requires a 3rd level arcane caster.

Clerics are "divine" caster not arcane.

Kulstor

First Post
You'd have to ask the gm how she managed that. It may be some obscure something somewhere. I didn't really ask since it's not like she is immune to damage while petting it or anything that would make her super powerful like that and she doesn't use it very much anyway. I figure it is between her and the dm.

Still leaves me undecided between the bat or the hawk. Those 2 may be better then the owl. Just not sure which of the 2 to pick. I think each has good points the other lacks. The bat is a bit more stealthy I think and has blind sense which may be useful, but the hawk, I think, has faster flying speed and better vision in daylight or lit areas.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads