• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Newbie GM: Need Advice

Plissken

Explorer
My Experience:
Hi, I'm going to run a 3.5 FR game this week. This is the third game I'm going to DM. The first time, I DM'ed with the basic box set, second time online. I've played a couple Living Greyhawk games.

The Situation
The first time I played with the basic box set, I played with friends who aren't interested in fantasy/sci-fi type stuff at all so they did not want to keep on playing (but they did have a good time). I've found a group of people who want are actually interested in the game and are far more experienced than me. I want to keep them playing but I'm afraid my newbie DM skills will keep them away, so I want to hone my DM skills. Hopefully the veteran DM's won't leave my game....

The Request
So, I know two basic things about good DM'ing. First is prepare and know the scenario's. Second, know the rules.

What rules are absolutely important to know before starting a game? I know I should know the basics, but as a newbie, what are some of the rules that come up often that I should know to keep the game moving along at a good pace?

Any other tips that you can offer?

Thanks

eamon

Explorer
That's a pretty open-ended question there...

Here's one: if a rules-question does arises and you're unaware of a rule that applies, rule it ad-hoc, and don't allow too much discussion about it. Keep to that ruling (if possible) for that session, and then look it up between sessions (with the help of your experienced friends).

Since you already have some experience, you probably know the following, but anyhow:

Here's another: know at the very least the basic combat rules well, concerning standard, move and free actions, and concerning flanking, cover, reach and concealment. You might also want to know in detail about surprise rounds, delaying, and readying, and about being unaware (called flatfooted), especially if a rogue is playing.

Grapple's complex, and you don't need to encounter it if you don't want, as are most of the special attacks. Look those up as you go, and frankly, I doubt you'll ever need much beyond grapple and trip (the rest are usually a bad idea anyway, or only apply to really specific PC's or creatures).

Most non-combat things are simpler to rule ad-hoc since there tend to be less hidden pitfalls, and since many things come down to a simple d20 check - a skill or ability check, generally.

Whatever you do, keep the game moving.

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
Also, be honest with them that you want to learn and try to get better at this. Alot of DMs welcome a break from running games, so it's in their best interest if another DM can be 'trained', as it were.

Now, I see you'd written that it'll be Forgotten Realms? First, best rule, especially for a new DM: set it in one particular area. Do not let the game go too far a field. The Realms is a dang big place.

Set it in smaller areas, with less well known NPCs. The game I'm playing in right now is set in Deadsnows in the Silver Marches, maybe population 800 or so.

FalcWP

Explorer
My personal advice: Don't overthink the rules. Follow the ones you know; look up stuff you don't quite remember... but if you don't know where to find something (and none of the players know), just make something up. Just be sure to check a bit more in dept after the game; if you find an actual rule for the situation later, just be sure to let your players know what the actual rule is at the next session.

The basic idea of a +2 bonus if the player is doing something that should benefit them, and a -2 penalty on something that would hamper them is something to keep in mind, too.

Also, look over any spells your players know. Especially if there's, say, a sorcerer, who only knows a couple - know those spells really well, since he'll cast them a lot. But look over any other spells they know, so you have a basic idea how they work.

If a player has Improved Trip, Improved Sunder, Improved Disarm, Improved Grapple, is using a trip or disarm weapon, etc, look over those rules, too. This indicates they're going to *use* these things a lot, so you want to know the rules so you don't grind the game to a stop every time they do.

Storme

First Post
My biggest advice to a DM is this:

The Play is the Thing.

The rules are fundamentally irrelevent. You can play the exact scenario with d20 rules or the ancient Runequest rules.

A good DM is not someone who focueses on numbers and dice. The DM that READS every encounter from his notes or the module, isn't really doing much. Why do you need him? Hehe.

The Play is the Thing.

The DM's job is the establish the Plot. Its up to the players to create the Storyline. You decide what is going to happen. Once you know, its then your job to make it interesting enough for the players to immerse themselves to the point that they are Interacting with the environment, and ultimately decides HOW things happen. When this happens, a STORY develops, with the players as the Main Characters. None of this can happen if you are a Rules Lawyer DM, or a Faceless Module Reader.

The Play is the Thing.

If you aren't up on the rules, assign one person in the group as an "Assistant DM." His job is the assist with rule oriented situations. He assists you in combat proceedures, rules interpretation, etc. Inform the players that any input on rules should go through your "Assistant DM," and when he advises you, you will then make your decision based on the CAMPAIGN needs. Even the rules should influence the Story. If a rule doesn't influence the Story, or in some way hinders it, discard it without mercy.

The Play is the Thing.

METHOD ONE:
DM: The door opens and you see three orcs. Roll initiative.

METHOD TWO:
DM: The door creaks open and a dank, foul smell emerges. Inside you see two dark skinned orcs and one pale green one. The pale one looks at you as if it has been waiting and says, "Look yar...these humans were nice enough to bring themselves for us ta eat!" The other orc says, "Bah. Humans are foul stringy meat. Let 'em go." The largest one draws his scimitar and growls, "Yer a dum dum, Greeshagh. They've got shinies! Each of em! Lets kill em and split em up!"

[DM gives the players a chance to roleplay a response. When they are done interacting he calls a roll for inititiatve if appropriate]

The second method is much more interesting and fun for both the Players and the DM than playing the game like a Data Sheet.

Storme

skelso

First Post
I've been DM'ing for years, and I certainly don't have everything memorized.

If you are running a module (which I highly recommend), get a notebook, then read the module thoroughly, taking notes. Focus on rules that might come up during the adventure.

For example, the module might say something like, "When the party enters the clearing, they are attacked by a Worg (Monster Manual 256)." Sometimes no statistics are included, except maybe hit points.

I'd write an entry in my adventure journal with all the relevant stats. Then I'd notice points calling for special rules, like the Scent special ability, and the Worg's Trip attack. I'd write a short summary of how each one works underneath.

Scent-Can track and determine the location of invisible creatures within 5'.
Trip-If hitting with bite, will make a trip check (1d20+3 vs. PC's 1d20 plus str mod or dex mod). PC falls prone if successful. No attack of opportunity, no counter-trip.

I do this so that I have a consistent application of the rules that my players can count on and play still runs quick and smooth because I'm not flipping through the books constantly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads