• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Newer DM needs advice on Dungeon tiles

Gravedust

First Post
I would like to shore up a collection of a few sets... should I buy the newer sets? Or the older ones? I've never used these before, but I'd like to pick some up as I'm using minis in our group and they seem like a good option.

Thanks!

Treebore

First Post
They are a good option and if you can get older sets start with them. If you like those get some more until you think you have enough.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
A lot of the newer sets have everything you'd need. The older sets don't really have that many unique pieces that you can't get away without them.

The main thing I'd recommend is using black posterboard and blue sticky tack to build out your encounter rooms ahead of time.

Some of the older sets are out of print, so if you can find them buy them! (and maybe then resell them on Ebay ;-)

I usually request a player at the table organise the tiles which aren't being used into same-shaped piles so I can limit where I have to look when setting up something new.

Rechan

Adventurer
I find them a little hard and unwieldy to use. They move around with a bump, it's difficult to set them up in a quick fashion for a surprise battle, and I'm generally unsatisfied with them.

Treebore

First Post
I find them a little hard and unwieldy to use. They move around with a bump, it's difficult to set them up in a quick fashion for a surprise battle, and I'm generally unsatisfied with them.

I have a heavy dinner table, so bumping is never a problem for me.

They work faster for surprise battle than anything else I have, which is vinyl battle maps, numerous flip maps, etc... Maybe I just have them better organized into sizes and terrain types?

Anyways, I use them more than anything else, so I like them a good bit.

Festivus

First Post
I seem to recall someone putting down a roll of felt on the table to keep the tiles from sliding about.

I have some of the older sets and use them on occasion, but more often then not I am using my flip mat or scaling up maps done with Dundjinni to tabletop size.

Melba Toast

First Post
I own copies of:
- Dire Tombs
- Arcane Corridors
- Ruins of the Wild
- Lost Caverns of the Undermountain

Arcane Corridors and Dire Tombs work well together. Of the two, I think I prefer Arcane Corridors. The tiles in AC are brighter, however, there's more theme-y crap in AC, as it's geared toward "magical" dungeons. Dire Tombs is more basic.

I found Ruins of the Wild disappointing. The set just isn't big enough to satisfy the needs of most wilderness encounters, so you have to buy two or three sets. The set fails to provide a lot of valuable terrain, like cliffs, rocky bluffs or even basic forestry. Meanwhile, a large tile is devoted to a campground with two tents, when seperate tent tiles would have been more appropriate. The there's other crap, like a horse and buggy, which I personally think is better represented with minis.

I have mixed feelings about Lost Caverns of the Underdark. It was smartly designed with small tiles which you put together to create lots of unique caverns. But at the same time, it can be a bit unwieldy because there are some many small tiles. Also, the cavern art is very dark, and the seperation between walls and caverns is not very clear in low indoor light.

Thats my take.

Rechan

Adventurer
I have a heavy dinner table, so bumping is never a problem for me.
Well I mean bumping the board. Like moving a mini wrong or trying to put down terrain features and the board shifts.

One of my players actually made a 4 foot x 4 foot solid wood board of 1" squares, and its' just so superior to the dungeontiles.

I also find the lack of indoor settings rather disappointing. The first set that's out of print is the only one with a tavern or a barn.

I seem to recall someone putting down a roll of felt on the table to keep the tiles from sliding about.
Wouldn't that hamper dice rolling?

Remove ads