News Digest: White Wolf Dissolved, MORE New D&D Releases Announced, RPG Now Closing (kinda), and mor

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! New Wizards of the Coast releases (and not just Mad Mage and Ravnica), RPG Now closing in 2019, White Wolf Publishing dissolved, and more!

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! New Wizards of the Coast releases (and not just Mad Mage and Ravnica), RPG Now closing in 2019, White Wolf Publishing dissolved, and more!
Paradox Interactive announced on Friday that they were dissolving White Wolf Publishing as an independent entity and taking over direct management of the World of Darkness line. This decision follows a string of controversial events surrounding the company, which was created by Paradox in 2016 (the original White Wolf Publishing was similarly dissolved in 2012 by then-owner, CCP Games). The most recent controversy involves their two new sourcebooks for Vampire: The Masquerade released by White Wolf, named Camarilla and Anarch. The latter contained sections which called those who committed suicide “weak” and a included posts from a “Mommy Vampire” social media group with controversial posts, including one that talked about feeding vampire blood to babies.

The Camarilla book, however, received most of the focus as an entire chapter was devoted to the Chechen Republic. This chapter, which all credited authors on the book have publicly denied writing, described real-world events going on in the country as a camouflage for the activities of vampires, who have openly taken over the country. This included stating that the real-world torture, imprisonment, and execution of gay men first reported in 2017 was part of this cover-up of vampire activities and providing in-game information for the real-world head of the Chechen Republic, Ramzan Kadyrov, was a low-generation vampire used as a pawn by the Kindred in charge. This sparked not only outrage from the LGBT community for the use of an ongoing real-world tragedy and human rights atrocity as fodder for a game, but also from the Chechen Republic and Russian government who stated the “developers tried to blacken Russia and Chechnya” in an official press release. Additionally, a fifty minute press conference was held by Jambulat Umarov, the Minister of National Policy for the Chechen Republic, and three members of Studio 101, the company localizing Vampire: The Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition (the previous edition of the game) for the Russian language and a statement from Dzhambulat Umarov, the Press Minister for the Chechen Republic, stating he is “studying the option of litigation the game developers” (the source is in Russian, automatically translated by Google Translate)

The newly-created company has been dogged by controversy since it was formed. As recently as this past July, Jason Carl held a Q&A live stream on Twitch responding to allegations of marketing the new edition to Neo-Nazis and the Alt-Right. Before that, the “Pre-Alpha Playtest” released in June of 2017 (later removed from the website) received criticism for controversial content including hunger rules that could force player-characters to commit acts of sexual assault in-game, use of the psychological term “triggered” both in its clinical meaning (“to cause an intense and usually negative emotional reaction”) under Malkavian and its pejorative meaning (“offended by something…and react to it with extrovert anger” from the playtest text) for Brujah, and including one of four pre-gen player characters as a young adult fiction writer whose feeding restriction was “children and very young teenagers”.

Following the backlash over the Chechenya chapter of Camarilla, Paradox Interactive Vice President Shams Jorjani announced that both Camarilla and Anarch would be withdrawn from sale on digital markets and edited before re-releasing them and fulfilling print pre-orders. Additionally, Paradox Interactive will no longer directly create material for the World of Darkness setting for tabletop roleplaying games and return to a “focus on brand management” to “…develop the guiding principles for its vision of the World of Darkness”. No statement has been made about the status of the Onyx Path Publishing crowdfunding effort for a Chicago By Night sourcebook for Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition which started before this current controversy with no comments made on the Kickstarter page, nor whether this will affect the video game for Werewolf: The Apocalypse in development by Cyanide Studios (makers of the Call of Cthulhu video game recently released and licensed from the Chaosium tabletop roleplaying game).

Well, that was heavy. Let’s talk about helping charity by playing games! Wizards of the Coast released the digital adventure Lost Laboratory of Kwalish on DM’s Guild with profits going to Extra Life. The adventure is for characters of fifth to tenth levels and is inspired by the classic module Expedition to Barrier Peaks, including a return to the actual locations. The adventure also features a tribute to fan Laurence Withey who passed away from a rare form of cancer earlier this month by immortalizing his character, the wizard Galder, in the adventure by turning him into an NPC with custom spells and magic items available to players. The adventure is available in PDF for $9.99 with proceeds going to Extra Life.
Additionally, Wizards of the Coast updated their Dungeons & Dragons product page with a new entry, Tactical Maps Reincarnated. The collection includes twenty full-color tactical-sized poster maps ready for use on the table right away. The maps are reprinted from several modules from 3rd, 3.5, and 4th Edition adventures including Tomb of Horrors, Vor Rukoth, Demon Queen’s Enclave, Death’s Reach, The Book of Vile Darkness, Kingdom of the Ghouls, Dungeon Master’s Kit, Orcs of Stonefang Pass, Fields of Ruin, Gargantuan Blue Dragon and Colossal Red Dragon miniature sets (which included maps for the D&D Miniatures skirmish game), Vaults of the Underdark, Legend of Drizzt, and Red Hand of Doom. The map set is due February 19, 2019, with a retail price of $24.95.

A new errata has been released for the core Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition rules covering all three core rulebooks. The majority of the changes for the Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, and Monster Manual are minor changes, but there are a few important changes to class spell lists and all spellcasting classes have had their descriptions updated to specify which spells various feats and class abilities apply to (so if an ability only affects class spells, it will now say so). The DMG also made changes to the Rod of Lordly Might and Instrument of the Bards magic items, and the Monster Manual includes multiple math fixes for attacks, skills, and saving throws for several monsters. These changes are including in the just-released Dungeons & Dragons Core Rulebook Gift Set and the 10th printing of the core rulebooks which should be on their way to stores now (the printing will be listed in the credits page of the book).

One Bookshelf announced that the RPG Now site will be closing in February of 2019. All links will automatically redirect to Drive Thru RPG including bookmarks and links to individual products (so podcasters, bloggers, and video makers don’t need to rush to update links from old posts). Both RPG Now and Drive Thru RPG have been the same company just with different branding and storefronts since they merged in 2006. As of now, the other storefronts for One Bookshelf (Drive Thru Comics, Drive Thru Cards, Drive Thru Fiction, Wargame Vault, Storytellers Vault, and DM’s Guild) will still remain in place, though they generally function similarly where the only difference between them is the branding on the storefront site (you can test this yourself by clicking on a product from Drive Thru RPG and changing “drivethrurpg.com” in your address bar to any of the other sites and leaving of the URL alone). All purchases, accounts, published materials, affiliate accounts, balances for gift cards/sales/affiliate links, and everything else will be unaffected by this change.

As the year starts to close out, eyes are on what’s due out in the future. And as you may have seen on multiple designer social media accounts, EN World’s annual Most Anticipated RPG of 2019 poll is currently live. The poll runs until Tuesday, December 4, and you can vote for as many titles as you like of the list scheduled for release in 2019. I may or may not have given away one of my votes in the image above.

The RPG Game Dev Bundle from Humble Bundle is still going strong with all the assets you need to create your own 2D video game RPG using your favorite game engine. Or, if you’re like me, you can use the art for creating your own home game maps as well as take advantage of the thousands of licensed music and sound effects files for your podcast, live stream, or videos. And if you need inspiration, there’s the Dystopian Worlds Book Bundle with twenty-two novels from bestselling and award-winning authors including James Gunn, Dave Dunca, Steve Erickson, Eli K. P. William, and more. And if you don’t believe that you can be inspired to create a game from these books, the base level includes A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison, which was the direct inspiration for the Fallout video game series.

There’s a lot to talk about with Never Going Home, the World War I inspired occult horror game. The artwork is evocative, the setting is interesting…but I want to focus on the genius of the game mechanic and how it pushes the theme of the game to the forefront in a meaningful way. Each player has a deck of cards that power their spells and abilities and can also be spent to learn new skills, get additional dice for a check, and learn new dark powers…but each card also represents a memory of your former life. This is such an elegant design to really push the theme of how war changes you that I am simply blown away. The PDF is available for a $10 pledge, the softcover for $20, a deluxe edition with custom playing cards and dice for $45, and a limited hardcover deluxe edition (with dice and cards) for $65. This project is fully funded and runs until Monday, December 3.

Eternalverse maps are listed as “Dungeons & Dragons maps” but are useful for any fantasy roleplaying game. These mini-poster sized maps (about the same as two letter-sized pages side-by-side) are laminated so they’re marker-friendly and waterproof. The maps themselves are fairly generic, which makes them perfect for homebrew campaigns, and they come with reusable acetate labels that you can stick and rearrange on the maps to denote unique landmarks, items, and destinations. You can get the maps as PDFs for €5 (about US$6) or the waterproof maps for €25 (about US$28), but you can also get your own maps custom-made for €50 (about US$57). This Kickstarter from the first-time Spanish company (so be careful with shipping costs) is fully-funded and runs until Thursday, November 29.

That’s all from me for this week! Don’t forget to support our Patreon to bring you more gaming news content. If you have any news to submit, email us at news@enworldnews.com, and you can get more discussion of the week’s news on Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk every week. You can follow me on Twitter @Abstruse where I’ve been lamenting the lack of easy-to-read textbooks on media studies, follow me on Twitch as I take a break from Dragon Age: Origins to play something a little different chummer, subscribe to Gamer’s Tavern on YouTube featuring videos on gaming history and gaming Let’s Plays, or you can listen to the archives of the Gamer’s Tavern podcast. Until next time, may all your hits be crits! Note: Links to Amazon, Humble Store, Humble Bundle, and/or DriveThru may contain affiliate links with the proceeds going to the author of this column.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

cowpie

Adventurer
As much as anything else, this is what irritates me the most about the 'moral' stance of individuals criticising White Wolf. These foreign governments are the ones who are actually carrying out policies of persecution and aggression against their own LGBT communities, while denying they even exist in their countries. When you say it was poorly handled, are you actually meaning that these governments are right to be upset about being called out for what they are actually doing?

I think the notion that a few gamers have their squeamish sensibilities upset by reading horror fiction to be quite insignificant in the light of this.

Yes! How is censoring White Wolf going to help stop the anti-LGBT violence in Chechnya? Why aren't the activists saying something like "while we don't agree with White Wolf using recent real-world violence in their gaming products, it does shine a light on human rights violations happening right now in Chechnya?"

Who exactly complained, anyway, and why are they picking on a small-fry RPG company in support of the dictator who committed the crimes?

BBShockwave

First Post
Seriously, we had RPGs where you fought Hitler's brain in a robot body... on the MOON. Or where the nazis were revealed to be in league with aliens! And nobody thought that this somehow was insulting to all their victims somehow. But apparently you make one chapter of a book about vampires being responsible for real-world events and that was enough to be the death toll of a decades old RPG company... One that always did this thing, integrating real life events into the lore of the world. RIP, White Wolf. I will check out whatever comes next but I expect it will be watered down crap.

Oh and for the record to those who will say I am thick skinned because it is not my people being hurt there... Ever hear about Elizabeth Báthory? Because of (never really proven) claims that she tortured her servants and bathed in their blood to get eternal youth, she was basically imprisoned for life and stripped of her lands, and died soon after. Now you will likely be familiar with her because she was made into a vampire in EVERYTHING - Hellboy, Vampire Hunter D, various Dracula related books and movies, and yes even the Countess in Diablo II is based on her. Yet, you will not find petitions written by throngs of angry Hungarians that a noblewoman likely falsely tried for political reasons should not be portrayed as a vampire... Mostly because we all know this is not a serious accusation but all done in favour to spice up a game/novel/movie with real life events.

BBShockwave

First Post
Btw, it speaks volumes about the climate today that NOBODY in the company would admit to writing this section of the book...
Yeah, we have come this far that people are afraid their career would be over if someone put the blame on them for writing a fictional version of a real life event. Let that sink in...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Who exactly complained, anyway, and why are they picking on a small-fry RPG company in support of the dictator who committed the crimes?

Yeah, sorry, but the game materials were attempting to make profit off the situation, not raise awareness of it, much less raise opposition to the regime. So, being against the game content is not support of the offending government.

Folks, the inflammatory rhetoric is not going to hold up to moderator scrutiny. Don't do it.

cowpie

Adventurer
Sorry for sounding inflammatory. I totally understand being critical of the material, but I just don't think it's a good idea to censor it.

While thoughtless and insensitive, the White Wolf books do caricature the dictator as a weak vampire thrall, and the government's anti-LGBT attacks as the actions of mentally enslaved thugs.

Dictatorships can't afford to allow any criticism, no matter how small. If they let one critic go unpunished, it opens the door to critics who might make a difference, like journalists, and amnesty international. This could ultimately topple the government. I think this why they immediately responded by making a big show of censoring the books and threatening to sue White Wolf. I can't imagine most people even know what the vampire RPG is, or that the Chechen government doesn't have better things to do than hold a 50 minute press conference to attack an obscure RPG. This looks like sham outrage on the part of the regime, and an attempt on their part to make an public example out of White Wolf, a soft target, to scare anyone else into silence.

It's understandable being against White Wolf's material, but I think it's worth noting that if the gaming community also calls for censorship, they could be unintentionally *helping* this regime censor not just white wolf but critics who could help protect LGBT people in Chechnya.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I just want to say that this doesn't constitute what I would call "Censorship". The Chechen or Russian government doesn't have the power/jurisdiction to impose censorship on the company (at least outside their own markets), nor do any of the private opposition actors in the West. The company produced a product, the product caused a problem, the company chose to remove the product and apologize rather than further aggravate the PR situation. That's not censorship (and self-censorship isn't really the same thing.) Its just a PR screwup and the company paying the price for it. Nobody at paradox will be imprisoned or "disappeared" over this and no morality officers will be confiscating the books. Will it cost them money and possibly a few jobs? Sure, that's why its a screwup.

I'll leave arguing the moral details of what they did or didn't do to others. I haven't read the text, nor am I familiar enough with whatever nightmare is going on in Chechnya to meaningfully comment on that aspect of the topic.

Carry on...at least until the thread is locked.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dictatorships can't afford to allow any criticism, no matter how small. If they let one critic go unpunished, it opens the door to critics who might make a difference, like journalists, and amnesty international. This could ultimately topple the government.

I think you may have lost perspective, or have an overly-romanticized image of things. There's scores of dictatorships around the globe that have had far more well-distributed criticism from the international community leveled against them, but persisted for decades. Consider how many anti-Soviet political cartoons got published in the 1980s. Each and every one of them got better distribution than this game product would have had.

A small piece of a hobby game product from across the sea is not bringing down a dictatorship.

I think this why they immediately responded by making a big show of censoring the books and threatening to sue White Wolf.

No, they aren't afraid of a game product from a niche publisher that will be considered doing well if it moves 100,000 units. :/

Being a dictator usually requires a level of narcissism and ego that doesn't brook insult - so I expect the guy was personally offended. And, it gives a great opportunity to show how strong their leader is in the face of those horribly rude foreigners! But no actual fear that this product would be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Celebrim

Legend
As a Christian, I've always personally found almost all of VtM and White Wolf's content morally offensive and often outright blasphemous appropriation of my Faith (see 'Cainite', etc.). It always felt to me less like a game that took seriously that your character was a monster, which might be interesting, than one that celebrated the monstrosities and tried to normalize them and tried to pretend you could be a monster without actually being monstrous. It always was a game that on one hand celebrated itself for being edgy and offensive, and on the other hand did everything it could to shield it's players from the evil that they were supposedly a part of. Here you are playing the supernatural embodiment of the horror of rape, degradation and disease, and no rape, degradation or disease really ever got treated seriously by the text. Instead it was treated as fashionable and sexy. I have always opposed how the company trivialized evil in the name of being edgy and dark or what have you. I've never particularly liked the appropriation of real figures as vampires to create a history where every historical event was basically about vampires, and you had this global conspiracy where vampires rule the world, and were all conflicts are basically about one supernatural group fighting another supernatural group. Good riddance is I think the appropriate response here. I hope the IP dies permanently and becomes relegated to the dust bin of history. The whole 'monsters are the heroes' thing from Buffy to Twilight and everything in between just needs to die.

Let's go after 'In Nomine' next. Please.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads