• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NHL: Free Agency, Trade, Injury, and Rookie News!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Oilers' Smyth signs two-year deal

Canadian Press

9/14/2005 12:13:44 PM

EDMONTON (CP) - The Edmonton Oilers have re-signed star winger Ryan Smyth to a $7-million US, two-year deal.

The 29-year-old, who will earn $3.5 million a season, was already in camp with the Oilers because he had a basic agreement on a one-year deal while his agent Don Meehan and GM Kevin Lowe tried to hammer out something with more term.

''We were really professional about handling the situation,'' Smyth told CHED radio Wednesday. ''It's a really good feeling. Now we can just go and play hockey and not worry about the negotiations part of it.''

The gritty Smyth has 430 career points (198-232) in 642 NHL regular-season games - all with Edmonton. He had 23 goals and 36 assists in 82 games with the Oilers in 2003-04.
---------------------

:cool:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Sportsnet's Hockey Hearsay

D-Day Oct. 5 for Kovalchuk
September 14 @ 9:50 AM

If Thrashers star Ilya Kovalchuk plays one game for his Russian club after Oct. 5, the Thrashers can kiss their star goodbye for this season.

According to the Augusta Chronicle, Kovalchuk and the Thrashers are no closer to a deal and he is willing to play in Russia if they can't come to terms. If he plays for his Russian club team after Oct. 5, Kovalchuk would need to clear waivers before returning to the NHL.

"I feel like we've made a big push to sign Ilya," Waddell told the Chronicle. "He's a big part of our past, and we want him to be a big part of our future. Unfortunately, this is a business first and a sport second. But we're going to do everything in our power to get Ilya here."

Witt wants out
September 14 @ 9:50 AM

The last thing a veteran player wants to hear is the word "rebuliding," and Capitals defenceman Brendan Witt is no different.

According to the Washington Post, Witt would rather be traded than to start at the beginning again with the Washiongton Capitals.

"They are rebuilding," Witt told the Washington Post. "I just don't want to be involved in that."

Lefferts

First Post
devilbat said:
I gotta agree with TB. I've never been a big Messier fan. Too many cheap shots behind the play against my beloved Jets.
I agree, too. He wasn't one of the guys I hated, like Barnaby, but I just didn't like him.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Bruins sign Thomas, gain leverage

Associated Press

9/14/2005 2:33:39 PM

BOSTON (AP) - The Boston Bruins agreed to terms on a one-year contract with goaltender Tim Thomas, a free agent who gives the team insurance while Andrew Raycroft holds out.

"Tim is a solid, dependable goaltender who gives us some depth at that position," general manager Mike OConnell said Wednesday.

Raycroft was the NHL rookie of the year in 2003-04 before the '04-05 NHL season was cancelled due to a lockout. O'Connell said this week he wanted to sign another goalie regardless of whether Raycroft signs.

Thomas, 31, was 81-43-15 at Vermont with a 2.70 goals against average and nine shutouts. He has played eight professional seasons in Europe and American minor leagues. He spent two years in the Bruins organization and played four games, posting a 3-1-0 record and 3.00 goals against average.

Thomas played the 2004-05 season with Jokerit Helsinki and led the league in games, wins, goals against average and shutouts and was named Most Valuable Player of the Finnish Elite League.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
NHL Transactions for Wednesday, September 14th

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - Signed defenseman Brett Festerling to a three-year, entry-level contract and then returned him to his junior team (Vancouver-WHL).

Boston Bruins - Re-signed unrestricted free agent goalie Tim Thomas to a one-year contract.

Carolina Hurricanes - Signed free agent centre Vince Bellissimo to a two-year contract.

Edmonton Oilers - Signed restricted free agent forward Ryan Smyth to a two-year deal.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Lefferts said:
Flyers news - Kapanen hurt, out 10 weeks (shoulder) and Brian Savage signed to one year deal.

Here are the reports...

Kapanen to miss 10 weeks after surgery

Associated Press

9/15/2005 5:38:08 PM

VOORHEES, N.J. (AP) - Philadelphia Flyers forward Sami Kapanen needs surgery on his injured right shoulder and is expected to miss 10 weeks.

The 32-year-old Kapanen said he was hurt several weeks ago in a scrimmage. The Flyers said he will have surgery on Tuesday in Philadelphia.

The Flyers now have three players sidelined. Centre Peter Forsberg is out for about two weeks after undergoing surgery to remove an infected bursa sac in his ankle, and defenceman Derian Hatcher is also recovering from a slightly sprained knee.

Kapanen said he was frustrated by the shoulder injury, which involves torn cartilage. The native of Finland had just spent the summer rehabilitating a surgically repaired knee.

''Last month I finally started feeling good,'' he said Thursday. ''Not being able to play in the next couple months will be hard.''

Kapanen can begin to skate again in about eight weeks, team strength and conditioning coach Jim McCrossin said.

''It's better to face it now,'' Kapanen said. ''There's a couple weeks now where we don't play any regular season games. It kind of shortens up the time you're going to miss. It's better to fix it now than try to play with a bad shoulder.''

Kapanen had 12 goals and 30 points in the 2003-04 season.

Flyers sign free agent Brian Savage

Sports Ticker

9/15/2005 4:22:29 PM

PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) - The Philadelphia Flyers wasted little time finding a replacement for Sami Kapanen.

After discovering Kapanen would be lost for 10 weeks with a shoulder injury Thursday, the Flyers signed left wing Brian Savage to a one-year contract.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but Savage made $3.25 million in 2003-04.

Kapanen, who played a major role during Philadelphia's run to the Eastern Conference finals in 2004 by switching from right wing to defense, suffered a partially torn right rotator cuff after colliding with a teammate during a workout last week. He initially injured the shoulder while falling down last month.

"It's been sore ever since then," said Kapanen, who underwent an MRI on Wednesday and will have surgery next week. "I still have been able to do the scrimmages and all that, but I guess it's time to fix it. ... I think it's better to fix it now than to try and play with a bad shoulder and get to the point where it needs to be fixed in the middle of the season and be in a bad spot going into the playoffs."

Kapanen, who scored 12 goals and 30 points in 2003-04, also underwent knee surgery over the summer.

"(I) have been feeling really good skating-wise and feel like I'm in good shape," the Finn said. "I'm just anxious to get back with the new signings and the new rules. Being away from the game for a year, adding all of those up and not being able to play in the next couple months is going to be hard."

The Flyers already have lost newly acquired center Peter Forsberg and defenseman Derian Hatcher due to injury. Forsberg underwent surgery to remove a bursa sac on his right ankle Monday and is expected to miss two weeks, while Hatcher suffered a sprained left knee during the United States Olympic Team's training camp and will be sidelined at least three weeks.

A four-time 20-goal scorer, Savage recorded 12 tallies and 13 assists in 61 games with Phoenix in 2003-04 before being traded to St. Louis at the March trade deadline. He was claimed off waivers by the Coyotes three months later but had his contract bought out this past July.

"We felt that he has been a really good goal scorer in the National Hockey League, has good speed and is a skilled hockey player," Flyers general manager Bob Clarke said. "Losing Kapanen for at least two months leaves us shallow at forward, so we thought that getting a player like Savage would really help our team."

An eighth-round pick of Montreal in 1991, the 34-year-old Savage has appeared in 608 career games with the Canadiens, Coyotes and Blues, registering 183 goals and 162 assists.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Jackets' Nash out two to three weeks

Associated Press/TSN.ca

9/15/2005 11:41:14 AM

Blue Jackets forward Rick Nash suffered a high ankle sprain Wednesday after hitting the boards feet-first during a scrimmage and will sidelined two to three weeks.

Nash, who tied Atlanta Thrashers forward Ilya Kovalchuk for the NHL lead in goals two years ago, was helped from the ice and taken to Grant Medical Center, where X-rays revealed no broken bones.

''The test results came out as good as can be expected and he'll be back in 2-3 weeks,'' said Blue Jackets spokesperson Todd Sharrock.

Nash, who had 41 goals in 2003-04, re-signed with Columbus in August, agreeing to a five-year, $27 million US contract. The 21-year-old left wing was a restricted free agent. He was the first overall pick of the 2002 draft.

In 2003, Nash had 17 goals and 39 points. He played with Davos of the Swiss league during the NHL lockout last year, finishing with 27 goals and 47 points.

Remove ads