Nightmare Fuel — Three New Monster Books for DFRPG

One of my favorite small publishers, Gaming Ballistic, is at the tail end of their Nightmare Fuel backerkit fundraiser for three new books of monsters for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game (powered by GURPS). Each book focuses on a particular type of creature: snakes, insects, and plants. The latest update includes more art and lists of the monsters included in each book. I've been involved in a number of playtest sessions for the snakes book, and have been gloriously eaten, drowned, and poisoned by the terrors within. Between these books, Douglas Cole's harcover Nordlond Bestiary, and the two DFRPG Monsters books from Steve Jackson Games, I think we've got more monsters available than ever before. (When I first dove into GURPS in the early '90s, I spent a lot of time converting monsters from my D&D books. It's fabulous that we've got such a big menagerie now!)

1667001176750.png

woefulhc

Explorer
A few notes on this project (which I have also backed).
  1. This is something like Doug's 16th or 17th crowdfunding project. All previous ones have delivered, except the OSE which he is in the process of shipping now.
  2. The books have high production value. The editing is good. The art is amazing and they are full color. Physical books are printed on heavy weight paper to they feel good and last.
  3. Gaming Ballistic's Dungeon Fantasy RPG releases are effectively RAW when it comes to DFRPG. (At least that is my understanding; SJ Games' Line Editor for GURPS and DFRPG does provide input to these releases.)
  4. This HAS funded. Right now the question is whether those that go for the 3 physical tomes get 3 paperbacks (good) or 3 paperbacks and a hard cover omnibus. (Excellent!) It is the same price either way; the omnibus edition ends up being a free add on if the funding goal gets doubled.

1. This is something like Doug's 16th or 17th crowdfunding project. All previous ones have delivered, except the OSE which he is in the process of shipping now.

I received my OSE package last night, so we can safely say that this one has delivered too!

F0521790-301E-4A40-AAD0-078922E65022.jpeg

Douglas Cole

Explorer
A few notes on this project (which I have also backed).
  2. The books have high production value. The editing is good. The art is amazing and they are full color. Physical books are printed on heavy weight paper to they feel good and last.
  3. Gaming Ballistic's Dungeon Fantasy RPG releases are effectively RAW when it comes to DFRPG. (At least that is my understanding; SJ Games' Line Editor for GURPS and DFRPG does provide input to these releases.)
  4. This HAS funded. Right now the question is whether those that go for the 3 physical tomes get 3 paperbacks (good) or 3 paperbacks and a hard cover omnibus. (Excellent!) It is the same price either way; the omnibus edition ends up being a free add on if the funding goal gets doubled.
Just some notes!

1. That sounds right. I'm rapidly approaching something like 40 books or so for TFT, 5e, Dungeon Fantasy RPG, and now OSE. The OSE one is very nearly done fulfillment. All the books I can ship are either shipped or staged to do so internationally.
2. Thanks. I like heavy paper and monsters especially are more fun when presented in a way that make them real to the players
3. That is correct. See this DI where SJ comments on his viewpoint on the partnership.
4. Also correct. The books will happen. Based on where the pledge average is right now, we need 540 backers to get to the stretch goal, and we have 322 as I type this. There are almost 600 followers who haven't yet backed, and about 100 of the backers never followed...so there's more than enough "in the pocket" to achieve the stretch goal and even surpass the original Nordlond Bestiary (685 backers, 743 followers by the time the project closed).

So the only question is "what happens from here?"

Bugstiary Scorpion spread.jpg

shrub.jpg

Attachments

• All the New Things.jpg
    All the New Things.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 50
  • BJOLLUFOLK_SUNRIDER.jpg
    BJOLLUFOLK_SUNRIDER.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 62

Remove ads