• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Night's Embrace: Part 1--A Touch of Darkness

Boddynock

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
[SBLOCK=Kel]"Ah, that's good," Aileen smiles, "Though I'd hate to think you trust me just because of a pretty face. I've found that a pretty face can get you what you want, but, you know, I don't like that the world works like that--it makes me question my own worth...so sometimes I like to see if people like me without seeing what I really look like."

*She cocks her head slightly when he kisses her fingers, probably arching an eyebrow under that hood, though it isn't visible.*

"Oh, I'm no more a lady than you're a lord. Just Aileen is fine, unless you'd rather be My Lord Kelloran, Marquis of the Eastern Trollmoors, Justiciar of the Grand Inquisition, and Lord Captain Commander of the Most Holy Order of the Silver Pumpernickels," Aileen laughs.

*She leads him along a few streets, keeping an eye out for the guards, before quickly crossing over to what appears to be an inn with the sign that features what appears to be a white-feathered gryphon wearing bifocals. The name is, appropriately enough, 'The Spectacled Gryphon'.*

"Ah, here we go. This is a nice inn, and the innkeeper and his wife are a darling pair. If the staff knows you're a friends of mine, they'll provide even better service than usual, too, though you might want to tip them slightly too--inn staff don't make very much money."

(OOC: Irony intended with that last ;))

*Aileen holds the door open for Kel and then heads inside, hailing the innkeeper, a short, somewhat rotund man with a thick moustache.*

"Why Hello Master Grahl! Long time no see! How is Mildred doing?"

"Hey, it's you little lady!" the innkeeper's face lights up with a smile, "The wife? Well, she's doing fine. Been beating me up a bit recently though, on account of that bad order Saml put through."

"Beating some sense into you more like it," Aileen chuckles.

"You said it, Leen dear," a taller woman with a cook's apron agrees, heading out from the kitchen, perhaos because she heard Aileen's distinctive clear and lovely voice, "So, who's your friend there, dear? Hope it's not a gentleman caller, little Leen--he's a bit young, don'tcha think?"

"No, this is--" did Aileen blush slightly? Probably just Kel's imagination.

"Oh, jes kidding ya dear," Mildred chuckles.

"Yes, well, Kel and his friends could use a room...or actually, how many rooms do you need, Kel?" Aileen asks.
[/SBLOCK]
[sblock=RA]Kel laughs lightheartedly.

"'My Lord Kelloran' - hmm, that's not bad. And I could get used to 'Justiciar' ... but 'Silver Pumpernickels'? OK, maybe plain old Kel will do just fine."

"And don't think that it's just a pretty face you've got - it's a beautiful one! But I've learned that appearances can be deceiving - and that assumptions based on a person's looks can get you into all sorts of trouble."

Kel furrows his brow in frowning remembrance, then glances up and chuckles again.

"Maybe I'll tell you the story ... one day. Perhaps in return for one of your own."

He follows her through the town, slowing down to look appraisingly at the Griffon as they approach. As they go through the door he glances around keenly, approving the state of the taproom and the spirit of the innkeeper.

Kel thinks to himself, "Hmm, they may not be highly paid - but I'd be willing to bet that there are no beatings for the staff at this inn. And no forcing of the wenches, either." A sudden strong flood of hatred shakes the boy ... the young man ... as he remembers life in the Armpit.

Then he shakes his head to recall himself to the moment, and says to the proprietors with a smile, "Greetings, Master Grahl, Mistress Mildred. This is a fine establishment you keep. Not the sort of place where the guests are afraid to sit down, for fear of messing up the furnishings but a good, solid establishment, kept with a firm and loving hand. My companions and I could surely search the whole city through and not find such a wholesome hostelry as the Griffon!"

"Aileen, thank you for your guidance. You have more than delivered on your promise. And as a token of my thanks, would you join my companions and me for a meal tonight? For we will surely be taking rooms here for as long as our business requires. And I long to have the opportunity to convince you both of my seriousness and of how dull I am."

Pausing for just a moment to see the effect of his words on Aileen, he turns to Mistress Mildred and strikes a pose.

"For Aileen has just finished telling me, dear Mistress Mildred, that she has no time for those foolish swains who moon over a pair of pretty eyes. Rather, she seeks someone solid and dependable, someone, indeed, stolid rather than flighty. It has to do, I think, with a horror of that wilfulness which so often afflicts the young, and a deep desire for the deeply, desperately predictable. And as I am an obliging fellow, you see, I have decided to dun her with dullness until she cannot help but demur no more at the prospect of deliciously deciduous dalliance."

"Then again, it might just be that I don't like my chances amidst a crowd of assiduous admirers!"

Then he turns to Aileen again and says, "Or perhaps I've just enjoyed your company so far - and would like to make a new friend."

Finally, turning back to the innkeeper and his wife, he says in a serious tone, "There are six of us - four men and two women. What sort of rooms would you have available? The women are both Tel-Quess, elven, but I think they would be happy to share a room together."[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Kel]
"And don't think that it's just a pretty face you've got - it's a beautiful one! But I've learned that appearances can be deceiving - and that assumptions based on a person's looks can get you into all sorts of trouble."

"Now, not to dull your instinct, since with many girls, flattery will get you everywhere, but not as much with me. When you look like me and you hear it over and over again, it becomes hard to tell when a compliment is genuine. Still, there is a part of me that warms when someone thinks I'm beautiful."

"Maybe I'll tell you the story ... one day. Perhaps in return for one of your own."

"Oh, I have stories aplenty, but I'm sure not as exciting as yours, Kel."

"Greetings, Master Grahl, Mistress Mildred. This is a fine establishment you keep. Not the sort of place where the guests are afraid to sit down, for fear of messing up the furnishings but a good, solid establishment, kept with a firm and loving hand. My companions and I could surely search the whole city through and not find such a wholesome hostelry as the Griffon!"

*Master Grahl gives Kel a hearty handshake in welcome.*

"See that Mildred? If we got that new upholstery you wanted, the lad would have been afraid to muck it up."

"Oh, come off it Nigel. You know it looked darling!"

*Aileen cuts in to forestall a good-natured argument.*

"Uhh...speaking of darling, how has Holly been doing?"

*Both parents simultaneously beam.*

"She's doing wonderfully. You were right, Leen, she's taken to the Academy like a fish to water. She's one of the top in her class, and she says it's like living a dream. I love this inn, but I'm so glad she's going to make something more of herself."

"Yes lass, how can we ever repay you for financ..."

"Shhh now Nigel. You can repay me by never asking where that money came from, okay? You told Holly it was a scholarship from the Academy for her exceptional talent, right?"

"Yes, but I think she may have had her suspicions at first."

"Well, I'm hoping it helped build her confidence in herself. She will be able to achieve great things if she believes in herself. Oh, but Kel, sorry for going off on a tangent."

"Aileen, thank you for your guidance. You have more than delivered on your promise. And as a token of my thanks, would you join my companions and me for a meal tonight? For we will surely be taking rooms here for as long as our business requires. And I long to have the opportunity to convince you both of my seriousness and of how dull I am."

"I would do so if I am able, and some of that will depend on whether I keep moving--no offense to your cooking Mildred, as it is simply divine, but I may have to take Kel somewhere else this evening. But Kel, you'd better not be as dull as you say--you know I live for excitement, silly."

"For Aileen has just finished telling me, dear Mistress Mildred, that she has no time for those foolish swains who moon over a pair of pretty eyes. Rather, she seeks someone solid and dependable, someone, indeed, stolid rather than flighty. It has to do, I think, with a horror of that wilfulness which so often afflicts the young, and a deep desire for the deeply, desperately predictable. And as I am an obliging fellow, you see, I have decided to dun her with dullness until she cannot help but demur no more at the prospect of deliciously deciduous dalliance."

"Then again, it might just be that I don't like my chances amidst a crowd of assiduous admirers!"

"I'm not sure I understood most of those words," Mildred confesses.

*Aileen laughs, a distinctive laugh that combines the best elements of tinkling melodic laughter and a youthful giggle.*

"I don't think you need to worry about that, Mildred. This is the smart man's way of flexing his muscles to show off for a girl. Isn't it adorable?" she laughs again.

"Or perhaps I've just enjoyed your company so far - and would like to make a new friend."

"Well, I always like making new friends. Maybe I'll make more than one today with these other friends of yours."

"There are six of us - four men and two women. What sort of rooms would you have available? The women are both Tel-Quess, elven, but I think they would be happy to share a room together."

"The elves want to share a room? Sure enough then. You'll have four regular rooms and the suite. And if you're staying here a while, then your first night is free of charge. Nothing but the best service for any friend of Aileen's."
[/SBLOCK]

Jolmo

First Post
"Well, thank you for taking the time to answering our questions."

"You should know that the cult has kidnapped and sacrificed several people, including at least two priestesses. We don't know if that's what they'll keep doing... but take care. We'll try to find out more about what they're up to."

And with that, Shan turns to go after the others.

Rystil Arden

First Post
*The priest says something in Elvish to his companion.*

"Yes, well thank you for at least having more courtesy than your companions. In all seriousness, we are absolutely the wrong people to tell if this is true. I wish you success."

*He turns to Nhalia and says something to her in Elvish as well.*

Legildur

First Post
Blunt turns to the others. "What now? Do we just wait for Kel? I hope he is having some better luck."

"I really just want to hit something now. I'm sure what we are doing is important, but it is frustrating."

Boddynock

First Post
[sblock=RA]Kel smiles and nods to the innkeeper.

"Thank you, Master Grahl. In truth, I don't know how long we'll be here - but your generous hospitality certainly encourages a longer, rather than a shorter, stay. The five rooms would be wonderful. Now what would be your weekly rate for them?"

Then his smile embraces both of them and he adds, "Do I understand that your daughter is studying at the Academy? But that is wonderful! How long has she been there? And what is she doing?"

"Aileen, where did you have it in mind for us to go tonight? It had better be good, if you're expecting me to abandon Mistress Mildred's fare. I know I haven't tasted it yet - but if those aromas from the kitchen are anything to go by, it's a high price you're asking."

He then takes Aileen's arm, says to the proprietors, "Excuse us for a moment," and leads her a little aside. "Fair of face, full of fun, and kind of heart as well," he says, quietly. "Aileen, you'll have me thinking you're too good to be true - and that would be a shame! Now let's find somewhere quiet to sit down, and you can tell me what you want of me."[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Sulannus regards Blunt questioningly, then asks, "Why? What has happened?"

She seems a little frustrated her other questions haven't been answered. Frustrated or anxious.

jkason

First Post
Titus Farrab, human ranger

Shayuri said:
Sulannus regards Blunt questioningly, then asks, "Why? What has happened?"

She seems a little frustrated her other questions haven't been answered. Frustrated or anxious.

Titus breaks from his funk as Sulannus asks a second set of questions, and only now seems to realize she asked him a first set.

"We learned that having your nose in the air is an elvish family trait," he grumbles.

"Looks like there's a princess who's about to become a grown up. Your folk didn't know the date, but they said it was soon. Thing is, we hit the anniversary of Night's Embrace's downfall in about four months."

Looking out at nothing for a moment, as if searching the whole city just with his eyes, Titus adds, "Sounds like just the sort of line-up of events those butchers would love, don't you think?"

Titus shakes his head and looks back to the temple. "No help here, though. Apparently our eyeblink existence isn't worth your temple's protection. We'll have to look for help somewhere else if we're going to find it."

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Kel]
"Thank you, Master Grahl. In truth, I don't know how long we'll be here - but your generous hospitality certainly encourages a longer, rather than a shorter, stay. The five rooms would be wonderful. Now what would be your weekly rate for them?"

"For Aileen's friends? We'll call it 11 gold for a week, starting tomorrow, of course. Meals are a bit extra, of course, depending on how much you eat."

*That's rather low--Kel knows even the Armpit would probably have charged about 1 gold a day for five rooms, and the quality at the Armpit was certainly far worse.*

"Do I understand that your daughter is studying at the Academy? But that is wonderful! How long has she been there? And what is she doing?"

"Yes, that's right! Miss Ai..." Mildred looks at Aileen, who smiles, "Err...a mysterious benefactor helped raise the rest of the money so she could go, just last year. My little Holly's going be a Wizard some day! Isn't it exciting?"

"Aileen, where did you have it in mind for us to go tonight? It had better be good, if you're expecting me to abandon Mistress Mildred's fare. I know I haven't tasted it yet - but if those aromas from the kitchen are anything to go by, it's a high price you're asking."

"Well, I'd rather not say here, you know, just in case someone comes in here asking--that way, it'll be a surprise!"

"Excuse us for a moment," and leads her a little aside. "Fair of face, full of fun, and kind of heart as well," he says, quietly. "Aileen, you'll have me thinking you're too good to be true - and that would be a shame! Now let's find somewhere quiet to sit down, and you can tell me what you want of me."

"Ah, not perfect, though--you seem to have selectively forgotten the whole pursued by guards thing--unless that's a turn-on for you?" Aileen laughs, "What do I want of you? Nothing really. I just like having fun and helping people. If I can do that before I'm caught, then today was a good day for me. So, I'm thinking we should get your friends and head to the Estralla Bakery and Bistro. The food there is excellent--what do you say? Either way, best to stay on the move."

*To punctuate her admonition to stay on the move, she turns to lead the way back. As the pair heads out to look for Shan, Sullanus, and the rest, Aileen's hood pulled back up into place, Aileen glances to the side and pulls Kel into an alley with a quiet warning of 'The guards'.*

*Covering his mouth briefly with her hand to indicate complete silence, she watches as the guards pass by, holding a small shard that glows as they turn towards the alleyway as if following Kel and Aileen's trail.*

"Siamorphe's Scales!" Aileen curses, "They've got a detector. We're in trouble Kel. Look, I'm probably about to get caught, so..." she leans forward to give him a quick kiss, "Just stay here and hide, okay? You don't need to get involved. They're not looking for you. Maybe I'll see you again some day?"
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
Titus said:
Titus shakes his head and looks back to the temple. "No help here, though. Apparently our eyeblink existence isn't worth your temple's protection. We'll have to look for help somewhere else if we're going to find it."
"Let's go and wait for Kel to return," an obviously frustrated Blunt suggests. "Unless you can think of somewhere else we should go in stead?"

Remove ads