• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ninja Article is up!

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Its subscriber
DnDi_Large.png
only, that might be why you can't see it (works for me)

I never actually even clicked the link. I just saw the thread title and felt like making a joke.

WalterKovacs

First Post
It's still a clunky weapon. The defensive, reach 1d8 flail is nice. However the Kama end is identical to the PHB1 Sickle. This almost entirely goes against the description of the weapon in article where the chain is used to hinder and the sickle deals the final blow... with a Proficiency 2, 1d6 light blade?

It also forces you to use Master At Arms as your Expertise feat if you aren't a Ki focus class. It's defensive property is good, but there are a bunch of double weapons with that property.

Like a lot of 'superior' weapons, it's more of a "weapon for this one class", like the shuriken, garotte, bola, blowdart, etc. It's unlikely anyone would spend the feat to grab it. Maybe the gladiator fighter would grab it, and either go master at arms (if he takes multi weapon power), or if he doesn't take off hand powers, uses it as a defensive reach weapon that allows the use of two weapon defense. It's nice, but it's something.

Overall it's not a very good representation of the weapon. I don't think that's the author's fault. It's comparison to the spiked chain is there because I think given the option of the spiked chain, with the multiclass feat, is going to be a better choice 9 out of 10 times. Without the multiclass feat, it's a closer match up, but Spiked Chain is still going to edge out the Kusarigama and that's a shame.

The Kusarigama is a niche item, only beating the spiked chain when used with the ninja assassin, since they get the special at-will, free profiency without using up a feat or cutting off multiclass options, defensive property that works with the free two weapon fighting, it isn't stout, so you don't interfere with the +1d8 per tier restriction [the spiked chain would, unless you had the feat and were using the off-hand end]. Also, the different weapon types aren't an issue since you are probably going ki focus expertise with the class, etc.

In most other cases, giving up the prof bonus, reach with both ends, and damage isn't worth it (since the multiclass feats means both ends are flails and light blades). Comparing to the normal spiked chain to the Kusarigama is a little more even, as you are trading the +3/2d4 for the defensive property, light blade (in some situations) and ability to make offhand attacks. It is one of the few options available to the tempest fighter to get reach if he has another multiclass in mind (perhaps ranger to poach some encounter powers). It's at least better than a whip ...

The Little Raven

First Post
I dont know if jumping during your charge would trigger the CA. at least how I read it the jumping, flying or falling should take place before using the power.

The power says if you have jumped, fallen, of flown this turn (before using the attack power is implied, since it is past tense), you gain CA.

If you charge, you can use the attack power in place of the melee basic attack, and the action's explicit order is (1) move, (2) MBA (or replacement power).

As Athletics specifies, you can make a Jump as part of a move action, or as part of any action that involves moving (like charging).

Thus, I can jump while moving during a charge action (by the Athletics rules), which means I have jumped before I use Ninja-to Rush, thus meeting its requirements.

herrozerro

First Post
The power says if you have jumped, fallen, of flown this turn (before using the attack power is implied, since it is past tense), you gain CA.

If you charge, you can use the attack power in place of the melee basic attack, and the action's explicit order is (1) move, (2) MBA (or replacement power).

As Athletics specifies, you can make a Jump as part of a move action, or as part of any action that involves moving (like charging).

Thus, I can jump while moving during a charge action (by the Athletics rules), which means I have jumped before I use Ninja-to Rush, thus meeting its requirements.

I have redacted the quoted above on the WotC forums, i see it now.

I believe the kusarigama should be a +3/1d6 proficiency weapon on the shorter end at least... i mean, it is superior, so it should at least be equal to other double weapons...

Remove ads