• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ninja, sudden strike and strategy

Plot-Device

First Post
shilsen said:
No. Since the ninja's invisibility lasts for one round, unlike the invisibility spell (which ends after the first attack), you get a sudden strike on every attack.

I'm sorry this is going to be so vauge, but somwhere further in that book it mentions (well, more of infers) that invisbility is broken if he attacks. Maybe under Ghost Face Killer? W/O that rule ninja are really, really, really, imbalanced.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
but aren't they talking about invisibilty as a spell? or when they say inivisibility goes away after you attack, they are considering it as a status?

shilsen

Adventurer
Plot-Device said:
I'm sorry this is going to be so vauge, but somwhere further in that book it mentions (well, more of infers) that invisbility is broken if he attacks. Maybe under Ghost Face Killer? W/O that rule ninja are really, really, really, imbalanced.
Do you have a page reference? I'm fairly sure that only applies to invisibility the spell, not the ninja ability. And the ninja, IMNSHO, isn't close to broken. Care to explain why you think it is?

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
Look into barbed daggers (complete warrior or adventure) which give a +2 to SS and SA dmg. Also, talk to your DM about Craft(Poison). There are plenty of low CR monsters out there to harvest the primary source from. Nothing like doing a total of 2d3 or more Dex dmg. Just make sure the two of you agree on the method for gathering. My DM uses a dx based on size of the creature to determin how much prepoison I can harvest. For Med size its a d6.

igavskoga

First Post
Regarding feinting with sudden strike - I don't have my books handy, but I was under the impression that Sudden Strike only works on opponents which are flat-flooted. I thought feinting only denied dex and didn't induce the flat-footed condition as the term never appears in the description of feint in the PHB.

Entirely possible that I'm mis-remembering though.

EDIT: More on topic, I had a build lying around somewhere involving power attack and that one jump attack feat (in complete adventurer I believe) that increases power attack damage coupled with spring attack. May've even grabbed martial weapon prof for a 2hander. I could dig it up if you're really that curious. :D

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
igavskoga said:
Regarding feinting with sudden strike - I don't have my books handy, but I was under the impression that Sudden Strike only works on opponents which are flat-flooted. I thought feinting only denied dex and didn't induce the flat-footed condition as the term never appears in the description of feint in the PHB.

Entirely possible that I'm mis-remembering though.

You're remembering Feint just fine, but Sudden Strike is based on loss of Dex.

If someone is flat-footed but retains their Dex bonus (eg Uncanny Dodge), you can't Sudden Strike them.

If someone has lost their Dex bonus, you can Sudden Strike regardless of whether they're flat-footed.

-Hyp.

RigaMortus2

First Post
A great feat to take with a ranged based Ninja is Deadeye Shot from PHB2. It allows you to ready an action to strike a target when one of your allies strikes. Should an ally strike the target, the target is denied their dex bonus for your shot (and of course your readied action goes off).
Prereqs are like PBS, Precise Shot, +4 BAB and sneak attack

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
igavskoga said:
EDIT: More on topic, I had a build lying around somewhere involving power attack and that one jump attack feat (in complete adventurer I believe) that increases power attack damage coupled with spring attack. May've even grabbed martial weapon prof for a 2hander. I could dig it up if you're really that curious. :D

that would rock :D

RigaMortus2, that sounds good, gotta give it a look

Talic

First Post
At 8th level you can take the Master Thrower PRC from Complete Warrior with the right selection of feats.

Use its Sneaky Shot ability to make ranged attacks for Sudden Strike just about every time. If you stick with it for all 5 levels, you can pick up the Weak Spot ability which allows your thrown weapons to hit with ranged touch attacks instead.

Its other special abilities you can pick up are handy too.

Remove ads