• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ninja-type character

pikachunks

First Post
I'm trying to make a level 8 character in the Farun setting for a new game, and I want to make a ninja type character that is sneaky, has a good BAB, and specializes in thrown/ranged weapons. I can't really use the prestige class from the oriental adventures book. Any ideas for class/feat combinations?

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
The errata'd Ninja of the Crescent Moon works quite well. Enter the prestige class as a 4/3 fighter rogue. That way yoiu'll have weapon specialization, Uncanny dodge, Evasion and 2d6 sneak attack. Later on you get all the "cool ninja goodies". Alternatively you could use a monk level or two.

The class is in Sword and Fist, but you need to download the errata.

Chun-tzu

First Post
As long as you build a combat-oriented rogue, you'll probably achieve what you want regardless of prestige class. Barring the ninja PrCs, I'm not sure WotC has many PrCs that would fit your character.

The Guild Thief (from FRCS) is one way to go. The Nightsong Enforcer, from a past issue of Dragon Magazine, makes for a good cobat rogue. If you have access to them, there are several assassin PrCs in EN Publishing's Crimson Contracts that would be fine for a neutral (or evil) player character, and there are several "avenger" rogue PrCs in FFG's Path of the Shadow.

Edit - Oh, you should also consider the Ninja core class from Rokugan Campaign Setting, if your DM allows it. Fighter's BAB plus full sneak attack progression. You still lack the armor and hit points to be a tank, and you're not going to find any good PrCs that maintain the BAB and sneak attack, but it still makes for a great combat rogue.

Last edited:

haiiro

First Post
I'll throw in a third recommendation for the ninja core class from Rokugan. It's put together very well, and I had a ball playing one in an RttToEE game. Rokugan's a great book to boot -- well worth checking out in its own right.

Craer

First Post
I'm playing a Ninja of the Crescent Moon right now. I like the class a lot. Just make sure that your DM has no trouble dealing with invisibility. ::grumble:: Being able to do it [NotCM level] times/day really threw him off, and now *every* enemy, one way or another, has the ability to unerringly detect invisible beings.

Uncanny, really.

Anyway, the class is very nice from a more stealth-oriented angle. Good luck, and tell us what you ended up choosing!

-Craer

Remove ads