• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Niobe's Dilemma (Manzanita Judging)

doghead

thotd
Jaan Saaresar, male human Servant of the Greenman

Jaan is drawn out of his revery by the back and forth of the conversation. It takes him a moment to pick up the threads.

"Troi has a point. Given your lack of familiarity with our culture, perhaps it would be easier if on of us read the letter. Or if you read out the sentences that are unclear to you."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"I am sorry, Jaan Saaresar, but I have essentially quote the letter verbatim. It says in that section 'Meet me at the red herring. I hope I will have some information that will be useful to you by then.' "

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Wilhelm watches the explanations with some interest.

She seems like a child in some ways, yet she dresses like a warrior. How will she fare in a battle, I wonder?

doghead

thotd
Jaan Saaresar, male human Servant of the Greenman.

"Unless the writer is fond of word games, I would suggest that the Red Herring is the name of a place. Are the first letters of red herring done in capital letters? If so, it is probably a place, perhaps an inn or tavern. They are common places to meet. Does the writer indicate where the Red Herring is? The name of a town or village, somewhere along the route perhaps?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Lasair shakes her head and smiles to herself.*

"I thought it was a building to begin with, but then you told me it was a fish," Lasair laughs a bit, "You should make up your mind. But yes, it is indeed written with capital letters."

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Lasair
"I thought it was a building to begin with, but then you told me it was a fish," Lasair laughs a bit, "You should make up your mind. But yes, it is indeed written with capital letters."

"That's yer own doin'. Ya asked what a herrin' was, an' I told ya. If ya'd been more specific ta begin wi', we wouldn'a had this problem."

Troi pauses for a moment. "Like Jaan said, if it's writ wi' cap'tal letters, that prolly means it's th' name a some place er other. Some people name places after critters, y'know?" His expression then becomes thoughtful. "Wait, now... ya said somethin' 'bout somebody wantin' ta meet us at this place, an' they'd have infermation fer us? Who th' hell sent th' letter, does it say?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"I think I may be supposed to go there myself--it was only addressed to me. The sender was, as I expected from the eddies of the ziivash beforehand, Carsis.""

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Troi shakes his head. "I've heard tha' line 'fore. Splittin' up an' lettin' one a us talk ta th' guy that we're s'posed ta be huntin' down - or, at least, I'm guessin' we're gonna be huntin' down - is not th' best idea I've heard. We'll go together, or at least one a us'll go with ya."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Carsis is clearly not the one responsible for this--there are even time issues that would have prevented him from having committed the kidnapping. Nonetheless, he knows you Troi Delmontes, so I don't think it would insult his vhal if you decided to join us to share water. Bringing others as 'backup' would be a slight to his vhal, however, or at least to my people it would."

Last edited:

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Lasair
"Carsis is clearly not the one responsible for this--there are even time issues that would have prevented him from having committed the kidnapping. Nonetheless, he knows you Troi, so I don't think it would insult his vhal if you decided to join us to share water. Bringing others as 'backup' would be a slight to his vhal, however, or at least to my people it would."

Are there time issues? This could have happened before we left. Maybe the guy didn't think anything was amiss until just recently. Who knows? We don't know enough.

It's fair to say at this point that I'll listen to what Carsis has to say, find out his story, then go to the guy we're supposed to go see and find out what he says. I have a bad feeling the stories aren't going to line up, so it's going to be a matter of who to trust... this is going to be a tough one.

Troi sighs. "Better safe'n sorry. I'll go with ya, then. An' I'm not gonna say that he did it, er not - either way, we don' know enough ta say. I'll listen ta what he 'as ta say, but I'm not gonna say he's guilty er innocen' right now. We'll worry 'bout that later, I s'pose."

Remove ads