• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nish Thought

Water Bob

Adventurer
I just read this neat idea. Let's see what you guys think of it.

"Individuals more experienced in combat tend to have a better sense or timing that can trump faster reflexes."

You reflect this in the game by allowing characters to add their BAB to their initiative throws.

I think that's pretty neat.

Thoughts?

Icyshadowlord

First Post
That sounds like something that some parties will roll with and others will just ignore. If that WOULD be used, I'd say it would be allowed for at least the melee classes, because they really have use for BAB and such. (And because I'd take EVERY opportunity to power up melee classes anyway)

But yeah, like I said, if the DM wanted to use this rule, he'd/she'd need to introduce it in advance so he/she can see the players' opinions.

Jimlock

Adventurer
i admit there is some realism in that.

However one could argue that you can use your Reflex save instead, or perhaps your Reflex save plus BAB...

IMO its a not a good idea for roguish classes fall behind...

As for balance issues concerning melee classes, i believe that if the DM does not give spells for free (and by that i mean that wizards/sorcerers should have a hard time finding spells, consequently keeping their spell list pretty restricted...and that a cleric's deity should interfere more with the clerics actions and spell choices) things do not get broken easily.

All this has been implied in the core books... its just a matter of how abundant magic is in the world.

This way you don't have to power up the melee classes and consequently interfere with ECL and CR. Also... no matter how much you power up melee classes, there is no way to challenge the spell casting classes in the high levels if their spell lists get out of hand...

Water Bob

Adventurer
However one could argue that you can use your Reflex save instead...

Yeah, the game I play, Conan, uses the Reflex save as part of nish. I'm with you, I think it's a better choice than BAB.

I just thought the idea was neat, and I threw it out there for discussion: put it on the porch to see if the cat would lick it up, so to speak.:confused:

sjmiller

Explorer
Okay, one: "nish" grates on my ears. Ah! :D
It took me a little bit to figure out what that word meant in the subject. Then, having read it in a couple other threads, I have to agree that it grates on my ear. Sure, I have heard, and even used, the word "inish" or "init" because it sounds like a contraction of initiative. Just glad it wasn't just me.

Empirate

First Post
Despite being told how stupid of a word 'nish' is, Water Bob seems to like it a lot. It pops up in almost every single one of his threads...

Water Bob

Adventurer
Despite being told how stupid of a word 'nish' is, Water Bob seems to like it a lot. It pops up in almost every single one of his threads...

You're basically calling me stupid.

I'm afraid you're going to have to deal with it or stop reading my threads. And, if it bothers you that much, the stop-reading-my-topics options is prolly the "smart" thing to do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads