• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No ASF if proficient in armor or a 'spells in armor' skill?

I really like the concentration = less ASF idea!
I also really like the 3 feats idea!

So.... what to use.

Maybe we could expand on these ideas? (Will do so myself, when I'm not at work.. :heh: ).

Another option could be to force a concentration check with the DC = ASF chance? Combat Casting appplies.
Might be too many die-rolls maybe, allthough not more than already required for casting in armor.

:)

Li Shenron

Legend
If you go the skill route, I'd suggest to keep it simple. As you say, definitely not more than one roll per casting! You could make it either a separate skill (if you intend for the character to PAY for it) or a new use of Concentration.

You may want to just convert the ASF % values with Concentration DCs but it's kind of hard because ASF is fixed at every level, while skills can change by more than 20 in a character's life. Because of this you run the risk of either (1) having TOO difficult rolls at low levels or (2) having automatic successes at mid-high levels.

Li Shenron said:
Because of this you run the risk of either (1) having TOO difficult rolls at low levels or (2) having automatic successes at mid-high levels.

Actually, that's what I was aiming at :cool:

Do you think it's a bad idea?

Li Shenron said:
I really can't say, but it's definitely different than the normal. I guess you only have to try it :)

Yep!
But what I was thinking was, that at low lvls the spellcaster/maybe fighter would have to use light armor and then gradually works his way up to hvy armor with no chance of failure.

Of course, he would need the proficiencies to avoid armor check penalties to attack rolls etc.

Grayhawk

First Post
Li Shenron said:
Maybe having 3 further feats which negates ASF with the armor of a specified type: Light, Medium and Heavy? A single-class wiz/sor would have to pay 2 feats to cast in Light armor with no ASF, 4 feats to cast in Medium armor, and 6 feats in Heavy armor, which definitely isn't a cheap price. The multiclassed eldritch-knight type still has to pay some feat costs.
That was exactly what I suggested in the thread that inspired this one :)

In retrospect, I'd propably grant the benefit at the cost of a single feat instead:

'Armored Arcana. Prereq: Any armor proficiency.
You may ignore ASF from any armor type you're proficient in.'

Thus, a Fighter/Wizard can cast without ASF in heavy armor at the cost of a single feat. A single classed Wizard would need 4 feats to do the same.

Of course, the flavor you're going for will be the determining factor in just how costly you'd want armored casting to be. With that in mind, this feat is just offered up as a compromise between the 'cast without ASF in any proficient armor' and the more costly 'one feat for each armor type.'

reanjr

First Post
Sorcica said:
On a recent thread about the game mechanic problems of multiclassing, someone (don't recall who) said that in his campaign, there was no ASF is you are proficient in the armor in question.
Now, for most arcane spellcasters, this would mean taking a lvl of fighter or similar, thereby getting behind in spellcasting. Secondary, spend a feat.

Does this seem balanced? After all, the arcane casters still suck BAB and HP wise.

Another poster was very unhappy about there being no skill that could offset the penalties for armor. His reasoning being that concentration lets you ignore balancing on a rope in a blowing hurricane while a Balor is swinging at you, but put one little leather jacket on, and you're in trouble.
My suggestion could be a skill that is a core skill for arcane spellusers:

TRANSCEND ARMOR (dex): You can use your skill bonus to reduce the ASF from wearing armor. (maybe make it a normal skill check to see how much you reduce by).

Comments?

For balance, I think I would make it so that when you take a level in a new class, you can only gain one Armor Proficiency feat each level. So a wizard would have to take three levels in Fighter (or 2 if you make Armor Proficiency a Fighter bonus feat).

Remove ads