• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Combat

Eltern

First Post
The problem is simple. One of my players for an upcoming campaign has stated she simply doesn't want combat. None, zero. The other players think the idea is worth a shot. What in HADES DO I DO?

By the time you have no combat whatsoever, I don't think you're really playing D&D anymore, you're larping while sitting on a couch. It's group daydreaming. Rules mechanics are just not there. Nothing wrong with this in particular, but potentially very hard on a DM. I've told them all of this and they still want to give it a shot. I'm trying to get the player who came up with the idea to be DM, but she will need help. Any game "systems" or whatnot for these kind of games?

I'm one of those DMs that's addicted to store bought adventures, and while I deepen and lengthen the plots, I need that solid base to go from. I know no company that releases anything plots without combat in an adventure type format. I DO know one other format, though: Novels :D Ways to get ideas, I'm sure, but not what I, in particular need.

Help!
Thanks!
Eltern

Crothian

First Post
You are right, character interaction will be a lot more important. But so will skills. If you don't want combat but still want rules skills are the way to go.

I wouldn't totally get rid of all combat. What I would do is allow her to have a diplomancy based character and give her the chance to avoid combat by thinking and role playing a solution. Let's face it, there are always chances people will fight especially in a more barbaric culture.

One thing you might want to look into are some of Atlas' books like Diplomacy and Demogagues and Crime and Punishment. With crime and Punishment you can have investigations, and like sherlock Holmes, you can solve mysteries and intrugues with very little violence.

Good luck with it. I have never had a full campaign with no combat. I have run combat light campaigns, with plenty of no combat sessions.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Eltern said:
The problem is simple. One of my players for an upcoming campaign has stated she simply doesn't want combat. None, zero. The other players think the idea is worth a shot. What in HADES DO I DO?

I can feel your panic here. No combat whatsoever just doesn't seem right somehow. On the other hand, if you think about it, its not totally unfeasible, simply because we have an example of that: real life. Seriously, when's the last time you got into an actual fight? That's something to work off of, at least.

By the time you have no combat whatsoever, I don't think you're really playing D&D anymore, you're larping while sitting on a couch. It's group daydreaming. Rules mechanics are just not there. Nothing wrong with this in particular, but potentially very hard on a DM. I've told them all of this and they still want to give it a shot.

I totally agree with your take on this, but as Crothian said, skills will probably become more important. Likewise, so will feats that act as "skill boosters".

I'm one of those DMs that's addicted to store bought adventures, and while I deepen and lengthen the plots, I need that solid base to go from.

The closest thing I've seen is a product I reviewed: Minigame Magazine #2: The Book of Guilds. This is a pay-for-download PDF ($5 instead of $6 now that it's a back issue) from RPGnow, by Valent Games. This campaign setting is significantly political intruige. Combat is there, but rare, and it would be easy to eliminate altogether. Read the review and see if it sparks some ideas.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I have a friend that is running one of the earliest published modules from Legend of the Five Rings rpg. Apparently, there has been no combat so far (but lots of intrigue), and only the threat of one combat in the future. Later modules, my friend says, tend more to the hacking side of things, so won't suit your needs.

But you can do d20 w/o combat. a) Chr-based skills. b) Traps, tricks, etc. c) Someone wakes up with a disease or is poisoned, and needs to find a cure fast. d) Something like the Olympic games. (With a possible magical "Cheating" scandal in the works?)

I would suggest that all the characters take the Vow of Peace (and the Apostle of Peace prestige class) from the Book of Exalted Deeds. If they are going for non-violence, they might as well get as many crunchy benefits as they can. (A group of pacifists that solves problems would be interesting...kind of the antithesis of the A-Team, Buffy the Vampire-Slayer and her friends, and, well, every fantasy/sci-fi group on television (With the possible exception of the marooned family from the original "Lost in Space")). :)

akchf

First Post
I don't know if this idea would help but Dragon 316 (Feb 2004) had some articles on playing espionage games in the D&D setting. Making the games more political and social intrigue oriented could help avoid combat.

iblis

First Post
tricky

Second the experiences there - I've also had noncombat sessions and low-combat campaigns, both of which have sometimes worked out well.

The Book of Exalted Deeds has some interesting propositions in it (I'm not sure how playable they are for most players/groups though..) such as in the Waging Peace section.

I still don't have many current RPG books, but that one sprang to mind as potentially useful for a case like this. There are even prestige classes in it that are noncombative.

Also, Rogues (my favourite core class) :) spring to mind - probably in the guise of diplomats/traders/entertainers/aristocrats/other. I agree with Crothian : skills may become more important than ever - and who better to exploit those skills? I suppose Bards would be next on the list.

I would probably attempt to max out on things like Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Gather Information, Disguise, Sleight of Hand, Perform, and Intimidate. Also Int/Wis/Cha, big time.

But realistically, what if combat just *does* happen? (as it can, even in 'civilised society') At that point, the whole idea can fall apart, IMHO. So it's all down to the resourceful DM.

Best of luck, though. Could be very cool, because so different. :)

~Oops didn't mean to echo another post there. (Time lag thing).~ Sorry.

Last edited:

Re

Ok, I ran into a similar problem with my last group... in fact, it led to me telling them that I couldn't run for them any more. I think you are just butting your head against the system itself here. D&D is DESIGNED for combat for the most part. You will have a much much much easier time using a system that allows for a pure roleplay approach, like the White Wolf storyteller system or the old 7th Sea system. When you take combat out of D&D you have to ask yourself why you are PLAYING D&D. That is just my opinion...if you don't mind doing it and they have fun, more power to you... I just think there are much better gaming systems for trying such an approach.

aurance

Explorer
You can do entirely non-combat adventures with D&D. It weighs heavily on your skills as storyteller, and only you can judge that. If you're not up to it, that's perfectly fair, and you have to explain that to her. But it's possible.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads