• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No experiance

TJ Panther

First Post
Hi I'm going to be playing Mutants and Masterminds for the first but I'm also going to be the gm and in not sure what setting or whatever I need to run the game. The only other RPG i have played is D&D 5e last Monday.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Welcome to ENWorld!

M&M is a pretty flexible system, regardless of edition. Very "tool boxy". Your most valuable tool as GM will be an open mind, because the are often a few ways of achieving a character design goal. Because of this- and your newness to the system- I'd advise you work together with the players to design each PC. That way, if there is a question of mechanics, both you and your players will be on the same page as to how the powers were intended to work.

Pick a setting you and your players will be familiar with and just run with it.

Last edited:

HobbitFan

Explorer
TJ Panther...since you are learning the rules, I would suggest that you use an established comics universe like Marvel or DC so you don't have to make all that up. Use characters and situations from the comics to populate your campaign.
It can be tough to learn a new system and make everything up all at the same time.

I'm doing it right now with a ww2 supers game i'm running with M&M 3E and its a lot of work.
The good thing is that M&M isn't that hard to wrap your head around..its just different from D&D.

TJ Panther

First Post
We have already designed all the players characters except for a few details and I was going to use seed of destruction as an intro to the game system but from there should I get Freedom City or Emerald City? I'm trying to make my own world but as I said I have no experience and I don't know anyone who is expeienced

Last edited:

TJ Panther

First Post
The only problem with using established comic universes is I would need to figure out the power levels and traits of all the villains and that seems a bit beyond me.

HobbitFan

Explorer
My advice would be get Freedom City and then start adding your own stuff to it as you and the players start making things up.

There's a lot there to base a game around, a setting, a hero team, villains, etc. And a lot of it is already statted out for you.

Last edited:

LordParsifaal

First Post
I once ran a successful Mutants and Masterminds campaign a few years ago. I don't think you necessarily need a fleshed out setting to begin with, since superhero stories are ubiquitous and take place in more-or-less the real world with added weirdness. Players will be pretty much familiar with all the basic assumptions out of the gate, unless you change them.

You really just need to decide how common superheroes and supervillains are. In my game, I decided they were fairly rare, so the players were pretty much the only superhero team around. Villains were common enough for a new one to show up every week.

Furthermore, you don't really need to make a fictional city or buy a setting book. I just centered my campaign in Las Vegas, because it seemed like an unusual setting. I tell you what, it was eminently satisfying to have my players drown a giant lava spider in the fountain pool outside of Caesar's Palace. NPCs and special locations were only detailed as needed. I came up with a few off the cuff, as well.

I don't think there's one best way to run a game, and I certainly don't know if this way is right for you. All I know is, my campaign ended with one of my players plowing his motorcycle/spaceship into the face of a Lovecraftian horror and splattering its brains all over the moon. My players and I greatly enjoyed it, and from that, I consider it a rousing success.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads