• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Macs? Holy crap did WotC do the math wrong!

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Imaro said:
Uhm...I'm a Mac user and this reasoning is all well and good, until we get to the point where I'm paying the same for a subscription as someone with a PC and receiving less. Plain and simple. Unless there's some way for me to reduce my subscription cost because I can't access certain features then I'm essentially paying for things in my subscription rate I can't use.
IIRC, they've already said that they're planning on making the DDI offerings available as individual components.

edit: this does not mean they will be, only that they're planning it.

Glyfair

Explorer
Dr. Awkward said:
IIRC, they've already said that they're planning on making the DDI offerings available as individual components.

edit: this does not mean they will be, only that they're planning it.
From the comments I've seen the only thing they have mentioned as "separate" was the VTT. It sounds like the DM will likely have to be a DDI subscriber, but the other players would have a fee per session (or something, it appears to be in the discussion phase).

Drengy

Explorer
I'm a Mac user who couldn't care less about the virtual game table. My group meets in-person, so we have no need for it.

BUT, I really, really want the online character sheet. For me, the biggest barrier/time sink as a player is the time I spend updating my character sheet, especially if I want to use a supplement. In my current campaign, I'm playing a strictly OGL character so that I can simply use PCGen as-is.

I really wish WotC created the character generator in the SaaS (Software as a Service) model. All the database could be on a server in the cloud, and anyone with a web browser could simply log-into their account, make changes, then print out a new character sheet. As I buy supplements, I enter the code printed in the book and I get access to the new rules instantly in my sheet. Again, there's no reason why there needs to be any client app for this, all I want is to be able to fill out an online form and have all the calculations and the layout of the character sheet updated so that I can print it out. For this functionality I would be more than willing to pay $5 per month. Throw-in digital Dragon and Dungeon magazines, and that becomes $10 per month.

There are so many advantages to this I'm flabbergasted WotC isn't doing it this way.

Windows, Mac, Linux would all work.

Sigh…

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
I'm a Mac user as well who would much prefer a web-based or Flash-based solution to a thick client. Beyond the Mac vs PC debate, it is a lot easier to use a friend's computer when you're there or switch client machines and not lose any of your stuff. This isn't World of Warcraft we're playing, this is D&D. I'd prefer a much simpler interface and a web client to a thick client with lots of doo-dads.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
mshea said:
Beyond the Mac vs PC debate, it is a lot easier to use a friend's computer when you're there or switch client machines and not lose any of your stuff.
QFT. The ability to print out a character from someone else's computer is a major reason why we use a Wiki right now.

Cheers, -- N

mshea said:
Beyond the Mac vs PC debate, it is a lot easier to use a friend's computer when you're there or switch client machines and not lose any of your stuff.

I wonder if you could steal a friend's virtual miniatures if you have access to his computer... Or maybe steal some of his character's equipment. Just plug in your memory stick while he's on a bathroom break... ;)

RFisher

Explorer
JVisgaitis said:
:mad: How come every time this comes up it turns into a debate on who knows what about the creation of cross compatible software? We also get the whole I can get what I want on my Mac and have people starting with the whole OS debate. Sheesh! Not trying to thread crap, but this just bugs me.

I apologize. I should've known better.

Whether you believe it is relevant to the virtual game table or not, the original point stands: When you're targeting a group instead of individuals, a small minority of individuals can mean a large percentage of groups.

The way I heard it, they are targeting things like: groups that played together in college but are now geographically diverse; & that they "hoped" that it would be used by new groups as well. So, it seems like a fair point.

Ds Da Man

First Post
I think they should concentrate on a working, good version for windows before worrying about any other platform. Just make ONE GOOD WORKING VERSION!

Mercule

Adventurer
Ds Da Man said:
I think they should concentrate on a working, good version for windows before worrying about any other platform. Just make ONE GOOD WORKING VERSION!

I shoudn't bite, but: There have been several. XP, Vista, and most of the Servers are just peachy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads