D&D 5E No magic (+thread)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I always thought some kind of "overwatch" ability would be cool for rangers, where they could designate an area as being warded. "Don't move, I've got you pinned down." And then if someone moves out of / through that area, the ranger could make a free ranged "opportunity attack" against them.
PF1 had a feat chain that worked like this; the character could sacrifice their entire action to gain multiple AoOs on targets moving through a designated area.

Quickleaf

Legend
@MichaelSomething Yeah, something like that I guess. I wish I had time to play video games, because it's such a lingua franca among gamers it seems, but grad school / work / staying healthy keep me really busy - my little pockets of free time go to ttrpgs.

@CreamCloud0 I'm imagining something like: I mark this 10-ft x 10-ft square that's within range of my longbow (don't know if this would be action or bonus action). And if a hostile creature moves through / into / out of that area, I get to make a free ranged attack against them. (don't know if there'd be a limit to how many shots you could make such as # = prof modifier, or if there'd be some point at which you expend your reaction to do this)

@TwoSix Yeah, something like that would be spot on. In "Magic-less D&D-land", make the paladin the single target alpha striker, while the ranger is the multi-target controller.

Faolyn

(she/her)
You may want to look at Level Up. It has more non-magical classes (rangers don't have spells, there are marshals (warlords from 4e), and adepts have had ki turned into exertion, which every martial has, and so aren't innately magical anymore), and has combat maneuvers so martial classes have more options.

Remove ads