No more WotC Star Wars - announcement

pawsplay

Hero
If sales are lackluster, Lucas Arts may be wondering why WotC continues to tie the Star Wars RPG to their D&D game engine, in this case, an older version of it.

Lucas's company had a long and prosperous relationship with WEG before a series of unfortunate events unfolded. WEG virtually created the modern Expanded Universe by tying together then-extant sources and expanding on the material. I would imagine they would be interested in renewing the license if they thought it would be a profitable development.

AllisterH

First Post
*LOL*

I always shake my heads when people say things like "Hasbro is letting WOTC fail/going to sell it" based on what WOTC does with its RPG division.

Hello, people. WOTC is responsible for a couple of games called Magic the gathering and Duel Masters in Asia (a.k.a "we're actually more popular than freaking Yu-gi-oh and Pokemon)

If WOTC is going down the tubes, look at its CCG section first before even glancing at the RPG division.

Drkfathr1

First Post
*LOL*

I always shake my heads when people say things like "Hasbro is letting WOTC fail/going to sell it" based on what WOTC does with its RPG division.

Hello, people. WOTC is responsible for a couple of games called Magic the gathering and Duel Masters in Asia (a.k.a "we're actually more popular than freaking Yu-gi-oh and Pokemon)

If WOTC is going down the tubes, look at its CCG section first before even glancing at the RPG division.

This.

WOTC could completely shut downt the D&D brand and still keep trucking along just fine with Magic: the Gathering. It makes more money than D&D.

Despite how important it is to us, D&D is actually pretty small potatoes.

edemaitre

Explorer
End of Saga Edition

I've also enjoyed "Star Wars: Saga Edition," which I thought was one of the better implementations of the D20 rules system. It was more streamlined than D&D3.5 (and less powers-based than D&D4e) and fit the cinematic feel of George Lucas' space opera, at least for me.

I've played West End Games' D6 version, and I own several other D20 science fiction games, such as "Traveller," "Farscape," "Stargate," and "Bulldogs." I do hope that role-players continue to use the Saga Edition if they like it and that, despite Hasbro/Wizard of the Coast's cost-cutting and Lucasfilm's desire to get the most out of its licenses, Star Wars tabletop RPGs continue to get official support.

I wouldn't mind seeing the license get picked up by a company that can maintain quality and backward-compatibility, such as Paizo (see "Pathfinder") or Green Ronin. I agree that it's unlikely a smaller publisher could afford Star Wars, but I'd be curious about a print version compatible with FATE 3.0 (like "Starblazer Adventures"), "Savage Worlds," GURPS 4e "Space," or even Mongoose's iteration of "Traveller."

I intend to hang onto my Saga Edition sourcebooks and (with OmegaDex help) may still use it for my homebrew campaigns. May the Force be with you -- always!

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Does WEG even exist anymore?

A "West End Games" exists. It's not the same "West End Games" that published Star Wars, more like a continuation of the brand. It has a problematic publishing and public relations history.

Curiously, Bill Slaviscek, current head honcho of D&D was instrumental in the development of the Star Wars RPG for WEG. So I believe that he alone has the best connections with LucasArts that any mortal being in the RPG industry can have today.

I might be wrong though.

But ... if someone picked up the Star Wars license and relaunched Star Wars d6, I'd jump on that train in a second.

/M

Last edited:

possum

First Post
This is very sad news, as I've loved the WotC Star Wars game ever since I picked the original rules up in 2002. For eight years, it's pretty much been the game that I've played.

Here's hoping someone else gets the liscense and does a great job with it.

JeffB

Legend
if someone picked up the Star Wars license and relaunched Star Wars d6, I'd jump on that train in a second.

This. Despite it's warts, I love/d the WEG D6 SW. While I cannot say I'm happy to see a SW RPG go the way of the do-do, I really cannot say I'll miss any of the three versions WOTC published. I tried to like them, but just never warmed up to them. I still kick myself for selling off my WEG D6 books :hmm:

I wouldn't mind seeing a Savage Worlds version...prolly a very good fit.

Remove ads