• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Ordinary Family

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The pacing is uneven at times, and some of the characters' actions are a bit contrived, but after 2 episodes, I'd have to say it's an interesting take on a Fantastic Four-ish dynamic.

We have a Dad who is a classic low-power brick, Mom can run about 700mph, the daughter is a telepath and the son seems to be a math/science super-whiz. And we have also seen that there are others out there- a teleporting bank robber and a powerful Teke.

We even have a developing sinister conspiracy.

So far, so good enough to keep watching...

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I DVRed last night episode, so I haven't seen it yet, but after the pilot I'm willing to keep going. I realize pilots are often not that strong, but I do hope they manage to avoid being a predictible show full of the standard supers cliches.

wolff96

First Post
I liked the pilot and they toned down some of the really annoying (to me, YMMV) factors of the pilot in the second episode.

Namely, they ditched the narration and made the daughter less of a whiny "I'm so PURE!" stereotype, which made it more watchable to me.

Definitely agree on the pacing, though.

It amuses me that the powers are seemingly based on personality... except for dad. Mom needs more time, Daughter wants to know why people are laughing at her, Son is sick of being dumb... and Dad wants to keep the family together so he becomes a brick? Latent shades of wanting to be a hero or get bad guys off the street, I guess.

And I love that, just for once, when the powers are revealed the friends don't disbelieve -- they express how COOL it is! That would be my exact reaction (probably along with jealousy, if I'm honest) so I don't know why we don't see it more often in movies/comic books.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
It amuses me that the powers are seemingly based on personality... except for dad. Mom needs more time, Daughter wants to know why people are laughing at her, Son is sick of being dumb... and Dad wants to keep the family together so he becomes a brick? Latent shades of wanting to be a hero or get bad guys off the street, I guess.
Dad was also mentioned as moping around and he is the one sensitive to what is going on in his family, so another interpretation could be that he is "soft," in which case a brick could make sense.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) I love some of the more "realistic" physics things they're doing, as well as acknowledging issues about why certain things that SHOULD be happening aren't.

2) I would SO be the buddy w/the secret lair idea...

3) I like that there have already been developments that are not your typical rosy Hollywood style writing. The show has already shown a little grit...and light comedy.

4) I saw the brick thing as the wish-fulfillment of an emasculated man. His wife is the primary breadwinner; he works in a male-dominated environment with a female boss...and is told that he can't participate in the action because he's not a real cop. Heck, even his artistic skills get heckled.

You know, with that psychological element to the manifestation of powers, there may be as much Wild Cards in this series as FF.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
3) I like that there have already been developments that are not your typical rosy Hollywood style writing. The show has already shown a little grit...and light comedy.

I'm a little worried that they may forget that a little grit is useful, but a lot can kill a show that's supposed be fun (see: Heroes, one of many problems with), so when
the mom's employer seems to be a stereotypical shady megacorp who seems to be using the Powells as test subjects
and
the evil TK apparently killed the dad's boss, who seemed like an interesting character
, I'm concerned.

dravot

First Post
My six year old wanted to watch it, but the language and some of the content was highly inappropriate, and for no appreciable gain.

Janx

Hero
I think the brick is going to have a problem when Dexter finds out where Rita went...

It did seem abrupt that they killed his boss so soon. Maybe they'll use that as a catalyst for him to become a cop, but I doubt it.

It also seemed lame that the adults got physical powers (read need stunt doubles) and the kids got mental powers (read nothing visibly interesting about them to bring them into super-hero situations).

Not that they couldn't be used in a scene to thwart crime or something, but by making them have mental powers, they are basically non-combatants. Very PG.

It's also surprising that he doesn't have a disguise or mask. That should have been obvious from the beginning.

Remove ads