• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 No Page 42 in 3.5, so how much damage does Create Water do to a Salt Mephit?

Noumenon

First Post
If you hadn't posted, Wycen, I'd have had no idea how my original post failed to communicate. Yeah, page 42 is in the 4th Edition DMG as a guide to situations that aren't covered by the rules like swinging from the chandelier. I wish someone would back-convert it to 3.5 with a table of DCs and damages.

Starbuck_II

First Post
If you hadn't posted, Wycen, I'd have had no idea how my original post failed to communicate. Yeah, page 42 is in the 4th Edition DMG as a guide to situations that aren't covered by the rules like swinging from the chandelier. I wish someone would back-convert it to 3.5 with a table of DCs and damages.

The issue was nothing really was created with any guidelines back then. Damage was across the charts.

Though, I think you could directly port it: although maybe level 1-3 use one size less rolled damage indicated (as 3.5 has less health at those levels).

So 1d6+3 becomes 1d4 +3; 1d10+3 becomes 1d6+3; and 2d6 +3 becomes 1d8+3.

Herzog

Adventurer
Actually, the DMG has some rules about that.

Page 33/44 has some pointer towards saving throw DC's or ability check DC's.

Page 36 has a table with maximum damage from spells.

The entire section there contains a lot of information helping the DM determining DC's, damage, etc.

dystmesis

First Post
For other rules for things that aren't in the rules, you might want to check out Book of Iron Might or Iron Heroes from Malhovoc Press. Both were written by Mike Mearls, and a lot of the things that made it into 4e and late 3e, such as stuff like page 42, were very clearly influenced by him.

Book of Iron Might was a product for 3.5 that includes rules for things like stunts, as well as kicking up fighter types up a few notches. Iron Heroes was a standalone RPG system based on 3.5 that kind of took the ideas of BoIM and took them even further!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I haven't encountered the situation, but just off the top of my head, I'd compare it to the other 0 level spells and either treat it as a fear/repulsion effect- therefore equivalent to Daze- or a damage effect similar in power to Disrupt Undead.

Kask

First Post
Here's how page 42 works. I wanna do something that isn't covered by the rules, like shove a creature into a fireplace or shove

Umm, not exactly applicable. 1st, you as a DM have to modify the monster to make it be damaged by water. In that process you determine how much water does what damage. Then at that point it is easy. It has nothing to do with a player doing something not covered in the rules. It has more to do with incomplete monster design by a DM...

Debby

Explorer
Not liking, even loathing something, doesn't necessarily mean it causes damage. However, since you want to make these even easier to defeat, you could house rule that it takes at least two gallons of water to melt a salt mephit (much like Dorothy throwing water on the Wicked Witch of the West). The salt mephit could make a Reflex save to avoid being melted . If nothing else, a good soaking prevents it from using its fast healing ability.

Debby

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads