• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Spellcasting, Just Item Creation

mmadsen

First Post
Awhile back, when I first picked up Oriental Adventures, I came across a great idea: talismans -- mechanically identical to potions, but cosmetically very, very different. Same cost, same effect (single-use, user-activated, as the SRD would say), but a talisman could be anything -- a feather, a rabbit's foot, a tortoise shell -- it wasn't restricted to a potable concoction.

Naturally, you could replace scrolls (single-use, spell-completion) or wands (charges, spell-trigger) with mechanically identical but cosmetically different talismans too.

This got me thinking. (Dangerous, I know.) Currently, spell preparation is handled "off screen"; it's usually free, and spellcasters are assumed to have the components they need. What if we went in the exact opposite direction and made spell preparation the focus?

What if we replaced Wizards with Experts -- let's assume we boost the Expert class to PC power-level -- who could learn (but not cast) spells by learning the spellcraft skill, and who could then produce potions, scrolls, wands, etc. -- or mechanically identical items -- that they could then cast from.

These "wizards" would be scholars first and foremost, with plenty of skills. They'd need a constant supply of expensive spell ingredients (the base costs of their potions, scrolls, and wands), but they'd still be effective in a D&D setting -- and any wizard's tower would be chock full of magical loot to plunder.

Thoughts?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Random thoughts:

* I would establish a limit on how many talismans a character could "attune" himself to at a given time. One way to do this is with a hard limit set by level. Another way is to have the character pay for it via skill points or feats. I'm not up on my Asian mythos, so I don't know how many talismans someone could have at one time in "classic" literature.

* Don't charge exp for the items and I think you're good to go.

Happy gaming!

Michael Tree

First Post
Interesting. Alternatively, you could use the Eberron Artificer class featured in the current Dragon magazine. You could even go so far as to remove their pseudo-spellcasting enhancements, and give them more skill points and hit points to compensate.

mmadsen

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
I would establish a limit on how many talismans a character could "attune" himself to at a given time.
What's your thinking, BiggusGeekus? After all, a Wizard can crank out as many potions, scrolls, and wands as he has time, gold, and experience to spend.
Don't charge exp for the items and I think you're good to go.
I could go either way on that.

mmadsen

First Post
Michael Tree said:
Interesting. Alternatively, you could use the Eberron Artificer class featured in the current Dragon magazine. You could even go so far as to remove their pseudo-spellcasting enhancements, and give them more skill points and hit points to compensate.
Since I don't have the current Dragon magazine, could someone explain what the Eberron Artificer class can do?

babomb

First Post
mmadsen said:
Since I don't have the current Dragon magazine, could someone explain what the Eberron Artificer class can do?

Basically, rather than spells, the Artificer gets a certain number of "augmentations" per day. These can only be cast on objects. For example, he can cast Bull's Strength on an object, and it functions as a Belt of Giant Strength for the duration of the spell. Additionally, the Artificer can use Use Magic Device to create magic items even if he doesn't know the required spells. He gets all the magic item feats and craft homunculus as class abilities, can disable traps like a rogue, and has Cleric BAB. (The magazine only gives the first five levels, so we don't know what other special abilities he gets.) The artificer also gets a small pool of points to use for magic creation in lieu of XP (20 at first level, 40 more at second, 60 more at third, etc.). These must be used before leveling up or they are lost.

AeroDm

First Post
I like the idea. I assume that you would then cut the other spellcasting classes from teh campaign/world? Otherwise I think not too many people would take this, especially if an xp requirement exists.

willpax

First Post
Re XP issue: you could open it up so that anyone can contribute XP to finish a magic item. Perhaps at least one XP per level must come from the artificer, but after that anyone can participate and contribute XP. If you really want to get devious, you could allow involuntary contributions, giving the evil wizard a rationale for wanting sacrifice the beautiful virgin. . .

Warbringer

Explorer
You could make the recipient of the spell pay! Want a Bull's Strength...no problem 15xp please....

Other spells, evocation, illusion, necromancy... seems fair the spellcaster pays

Remove ads