• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No submission this weekend

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Sorry about that. Did get a lot of stuff done and the movement rules are coming together nicely -- but more reworking is needed.

Specifically, I need to strip a bunch of stuff out of the Introduction and stick it into Chapter 2: Maneuvering. The Introduction will include the Piloting skill, Vessel sizes and Maneuverability ratings and not much else. Chapter 2 will include turning and sliding, altitude, collisions, vessel conditions (out of control and downward spiral) and stunts. Chapter 3 will be Combat and will include ramming, vessel weapons and other stuff.

What I really need is a list of vessel qualities. I think that Chapter 1 should include a description of each vessel quality, much like the Monster Manual includes for each monster quality, or Deities and Demigods does for divine qualities.

Do we have such a list? There doesn't appear to be one in the current ruleset. As it is there are scattered references to Handling Modifiers and Reflex Saves and Glide Speed and so on.

BlackJaw

First Post
Are we talking vessel or vehicle?

Vehicles are a lot more complex to use and operate. Normal monsters/character/etc that fly just use the movement rules, stunts, etc. Vehicles have all sorts of special rules about weapons, etc. that said, most vessels can have the same qualities as monsters... in fact, you cast fly on any monster in the Core rules and it becomes a vessel. BUT vehicles have some special qualities... I think. I'll see about making you a list.

Also, the term Vessel Weapons should really be Vehicle weapons now. those rules were written with vehicles in mind. A dragon should really be using its own attack rolls, and damage modifiers etc. In fact I think I have a bit in the current (poorly aranged) rules that states that monster weapons, like dragon claws etc, are condsidered "passenger weapons" which means they are not bound by the rules for vehicles weapons.

hmmm messy isn't it. wish I had written that document a lot more coherent.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Well, I'm not sure. I mean, yes, I need a set of Vehicle stats. But do the current creature stats provide us with all the information we need? It seems like they do but I'm not 100% sure.

Do creatures have Minimum Forward speeds listed? Can a dragon hover? Does a griffon get a Handling Modifier? Hm.

BlackJaw

First Post
From the last document (pg 17/74):
Monsters as Vessels:
Monsters that fly, like dragons and griffons, are covered under the vessel rules. The key to this concept is that the monster is both the vessel and the pilot. The monster’s strength score is the vessel’s strength score. The monster’s armor class is the vessel armor class. The monster’s hitpoints are the vessel’s hitpoints. Monsters don’t have vessel weapons, but instead have passenger weapons, like claws and stingers.
A monster’s flight speed is not the same as a normal vessel’s speed. When a monster takes a double-move action, it can fly twice as far. Monsters can also sprint and run in flight. Monsters with flight speeds are considered to have a +10 bonus to their pilot skill checks much like how monsters with swimming speeds have bonuses to their swimming skill checks.
The core rules for monsters gives any flying creature a maneuverability ratting using the same terms listed in this supplement and are directly compatible. You do need to figure out if the vessel can hover, and if it can not, what it’s minimum movement speed is. Use the following chart:
Perfect: Can hover, minimum speed of 0.
Good: Can hover, minimum speed of 0.
Average: Cannot hover, minimum speed is half normal speed.
Poor: Cannot hover, minimum speed is half normal speed.
Clumsy: Cannot hover, minimum speed is half normal speed.
Monsters can still lose control or fall into a downward spiral, but because there are no controls, only that monster can try to regain control or pull out.
Because monsters are their vessels, they don't have a handling modifier, etc. instead they have a +10 bonus to flight... a bird is much more graceful in flight then a 747 or helicopter, or spelljammer, in part because they don't have to convert their limb movements into controls and back into the vehicle. They are the controls. This rule is based off the core game rule that animals/monsters/etc with swim speeds have a +10 bonus to their swimming skill checks.

I'll see about getting you a list of vehicle info.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
BlackJaw said:
This rule is based off the core game rule that animals/monsters/etc with swim speeds have a +10 bonus to their swimming skill checks.
Brilliant. I'll amend the current creature rules with this tidbit -- I'm glad there's precedent for this.

Remove ads