• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No support for the Sorcerer?

Blockader7

First Post
Does it seem l;ike to you that there's not a lot of support for the Sorcerer class?

Does it seem alarming that there's a few Prestige classes out that that's designed to kill Arcane Casters more than there is Sorcerer prestige classes?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Arguably every class that has arcane casting as a prereq and provides +1 caster level per level is excellent for the sorcerer since all the sorcerer gives up is familiar improvements... and how good is that, really?

I would agree that I don't recall seeing any prestige classes that require spontaneous casting as a prereq, which might be interesting.

Derren

Hero
Without the Education Feat (FRCS) most Wizard PRCs can be taken earliest by sorcerers at level ~13.

Non-Fr Sorcerers don't have much choice when they want a PRC except for Dragon Disciple, which I don't count as Sorcerer PRC.

Gez

First Post
Sorcerer PrC:

Eldritch Master: Hard to find (only in a Dragon article, never reprinted), forego your high level spells in order to know more low levels. Dubious usefulness.

Dragon Disciple: Useful only for Sorcerer 1/Barbarian X combination. It's a class for melee combat.

Heartwarder of Sune: From Faiths & Pantheons, rather aimed at bards, but IIRC a sorcerer may qualify.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Gez said:
Sorcerer PrC:

Eldritch Master: Hard to find (only in a Dragon article, never reprinted), forego your high level spells in order to know more low levels. Dubious usefulness.
Actually, you don't give up your high level spells. You only get very few of them, and you don' get them in normal spellcasting prograssion anymore, that's true, but you do get higher level spells (3 spell levels) after taking the PrC. It is actually quite good, seeing as you can also select spells from other spell lists. A sorcerer casting Ressurection anyone?

Isn't elemental savant quite easily attainable (as the planar knowledge requirement isn't that high IIRC?)

Rav

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well I think it's safe to say that when the first Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards, and Sorcerers comes out, there will be at least TWO sorcerer only prestige classes that will shine. Angel-blooded (Celestial answer to Dragon Disciple) and Blessed of Mesos. (Uber Sorcerer folks. You know I like it.)

shilsen

Adventurer
Ravellion said:
Isn't elemental savant quite easily attainable (as the planar knowledge requirement isn't that high IIRC?)

Rav

8 ranks, so a single-classed sorceror would have to be 13th lvl before he could enter it.

bret

First Post
Candlecaster, Bloodmage and Mindbender can work.

In my opinion, Mage of the Arcane Order is the best choice.

Take Arcane Preparation, Cooperative Spell, and one more MetaMagic feat. You can qualify for the PrC at 7th level.

That then gives you access to all Knowledge skills as a Sorc, and gives you Spellpool access. It also gives you Knowledge (Any) if you want to pick up another PrC such as Elemental Savant.

Since Sorcerers don't have spellbooks, you wouldn't gain the New Spell at MoAO level 5 and 8. Other than that, I believe everything works.

There are a few other mixed-class PrCs (Arcane Trickster, Spellblade) that work for Sorcerers. For pure Sorcerer,

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
7 levels of the prestige class at 20th level is not that bad IMO seeing you gave up hardly a thing to acquire the PrC in the first place (not like you could have used your skill points for something more useful... :))

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads