• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NO THANK YOU, EVIL Kickstarter Launches

Monte Cook Games' kid-targeted roleplaying game Kickstarter, No Thank You, Evil, launched yesterday with a funding goal of $40,000. It has already almost achieved that goal (expect this one to run into the hundreds of thousands, like all MCG Kickstarters!) Billed as "a game of make-believe for creative kids and their families from the team that brought you Numenera and The Strange", it is set in a world called Storia and features characters such as Olivia, a Super Smart Princess who Experiments With Science. No Thank You, Evil features MCG's exisiting Cypher System, which powers their current crop of games.

Monte Cook Games' kid-targeted roleplaying game Kickstarter, No Thank You, Evil, launched yesterday with a funding goal of $40,000. It has already almost achieved that goal (expect this one to run into the hundreds of thousands, like all MCG Kickstarters!) Billed as "a game of make-believe for creative kids and their families from the team that brought you Numenera and The Strange", it is set in a world called Storia and features characters such as Olivia, a Super Smart Princess who Experiments With Science. No Thank You, Evil features MCG's exisiting Cypher System, which powers their current crop of games.

The game comes as a boxed set (the basic box will cost you $40, with limited edition versions at higher pledge levels) and contains rules, dice, cards, and more. It's slated for release in February 2016. Interestingly, the game's complexity is scalable for different players simultaneously. As MCG describes it, "A six-year-old might play, for example, a Princess. An eight-year-old might play a Super Smart Princess. A ten-year-old might create a Super Smart Princess who Experiments With Science. Each of these stages adds a level of sophistication to how the game is played—but all of these characters play around the same table in the same game."

photo-original.jpg

Monte Cook Games runs a Kickstarter each year. The first one occured before the company even existed - the Numenera Kickstarter made about half a million dollars, and resulted in the formation of the company. A year later, when Bruce Cordell left WotC and joined the company, The Strange Kickstarter did almost as well. It's fairly sfe to say that the MCG team is pretty much at the top of the pack when it comes to tabletop RPG Kickstarters, reaching fund levels more commonly reserved for big miniatures products and the like.

It's not often you see RPGs aimed directly at kids. Traditionally, the market leader is the company which does the heavy lifting of new player acquisition and market growth. It seems smaller companies like MCG have a role to play in this process, too, especially given a hobby whose participants are getting older on average.

Click on the image below to check out the Kickstarter.

392a3daa68ff779dcefb10b3c0821969_original.jpg

Desalus

First Post
I'm pretty excited about this product, but $70 just to qualify for Kickstarter exclusives and stretch goals (which have not even been revealed yet), seems a bit high. I wish the PDF reward tier had the stretch goals as well.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
My son is 3 and we already play Avengers action figures vs D&D Miniatures dragons so this could be something that suits me. That said, I don't do Kickstarters so I'll just have to wait.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Got my copy in the mail (and a PDF) and I love it so far. Beautiful game pieces. My daughter (almost 5) keeps opening the map, pointing to something that interests her, and asking me to read about that place. We've done this the past two nights...she's fascinated with the map.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads