• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No vampire giants?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Drew said:
None of the rules you mention by their nature say that I can't change them.
"By their nature"? The rule that you're concerned with, the restriction on the vampire template, doesn't "by its nature" say that you can't change it either. It describes the vampire template as applying to humanoids and monstrous humanoids, just as Demons are Chaotic-Evil Outsiders and Animate Dead is an [Evil] spell. They all serve to reinforce cultural atmosphere, and are all equally mutable in the hands of the DM. My point was that flavor is and always has been a part of the core rules mechanics. You asked "why do the vampire template rules include flavor?" to which I am responding, "because there is a certain 'core flavor' that is supported by the mechanical aspects of the game."
And alignment is not really just a flavor rule in D&D. Not with things like detect evil, holy swords, and word of chaos. Plus, according to the monster section of the SRD:
You're giving me my point back to me. That's what I'm saying: flavor and mechanics are intertwined in the core game. The vampire rules are written to compliment the core vampire flavor, that of an undead humanoid or monstrous humanoid, just as the core werewolf rules (the always Evil alignment) are written to compliment the nature of werewolves in most Western mythologies.
I see your original point, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I tend to dislike rules restrictions where they aren't needed. If there isn't a sound mechanical reason to tell me I can't have a vampire ogre, then why restrict it? It might be STUPID to have a vampire black pudding, but that's not a good enough reason to outlaw it in the rules.
It seems you would prefer the D&D rules to be a completely plain slate, devoid of any flavor of its own, which you can use to create whatever flavor you desire. I can understand this, but I don't think the game will ever cater to you in this way. Many DMs are time-constrained, or simply don't want to make the tremendous effort it would take to define every flavor aspect of their games. They want to use creatures "out of the box" and have those creatures be flavorful and interesting. The core rules allow those DMs to do so, by offering rules which reflect and reinforce a "standard flavor" that requires no tinkering to use. DMs who want to recreate worlds outside of the standard flavor are still very able to do so upon their own initiative.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
MoogleEmpMog said:
I also like the idea of a red dragon vampire. He would definitely be of the bite-the-head off and drink what comes out variety.

The vampire dragon template can be found in the Draconomicon. Guess what - almost identical to the (humanoid) vampire template in Monster Manual, just with a few adjustements so that a dragon isn't actually made less powerful by adding the template (in particular, the loss of the Con stat doesn't necessarily make the dragon's hit points fewer or its breath weapon save DC lower).

Vampire giants? Personally, I like the image of a vampire stone giant standing upside down on the cavern roof while he throws boulders at you.

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

BelXiror

First Post
One thing to keep in mind when giants and such start becoming Vampires, is the grapple check.

Vampires drink blood by grappling, and how many PC's stand a chance against a grappling Giant, specially when it's no longer subject to sneak attacks, so the rogue can't pursuade it to put you down...

Khayman

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Imagine a giant trying to suck your blood? Its fang would be bigger than your head! It might as well just squeeze you like a lemon. Ooo, now I've got visions of those lemon juicer things, except for giants! Ewwww!!!!

"Fee-fie-foe-fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman." :lol:

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Garnfellow said:
Pull out your 1st edition Monster Manual, turn to the Giant entry, and take a look at the Trampier illustration of the cloud giant.
I don't have it here, 'cos I'm at work, but my clear recollection is that those things are tusks, not fangs, i.e. they're long lower canine teeth, not long upper canine teeth. But who's to say until the guys either tries to disembowel you or rip your throat out!

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

Hypersmurf said:
That might be the one I'm thinking of.

-Hyp.
The beloved Oggunon, Gibbering mouther vampire... nasty as hell, but one average turn check and see that flubber run!

Re: vampire giants... now how is a medium vampire's fangs going to pierce giant skin to reach veins?

AR

Sebastian Francis

First Post
Drew said:
From the SRD (emphasis mine):

“Vampire” is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

So, no vampire ogres, giants, mind flayers, or beholders?

How about vampire dragons?

ken-ichi

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:
Re: vampire giants... now how is a medium vampire's fangs going to pierce giant skin to reach veins?

AR

I would think it would require a lot of chewing, kind of like a tough steak. :D

Not to mention, how would you kill one?
You can't drap a several ton body into the sunlight. You would need to implant a tree into the things heart to pin it down. Finding enough running water to submerge it and getting the vampire there would be hard. Seems like spells would be nearly a necessity.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads