• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nobel Prize in Physics for Higgs Boson

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ah. So, lie to them. That's your plan?

Bait-and-switch is not a good way to get people to be scientist, either.

There are real wonders in the world. They are cool enough without my having to lie.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Lie? No. Creative interpretations and not giving all the info, of course. We were all in a relationship at some point.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Lie? No. Creative interpretations and not giving all the info, of course. We were all in a relationship at some point.

Sorry, but science is the pursuit of how things actually work. What you're talking about would be hypocrisy. I'm not into that.

Science fiction authors do a fine job of what you're suggesting, without the ethical issue because they admit that what they write is fiction. I don't need to add to that, when I can talk about real-world wonders.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Hypocrisy? You sure like word inflation and are selfrighteous.

Kid: I'd like to manipulate higg's bosom to change the mass of objects. Woot!

Me: If you work hard enough, maybe you'll help make this happen one day.

Kid: Hypocrite! /hisss

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hypocrisy? You sure like word inflation and are selfrighteous.

Apparently, we haven't warned you sufficiently: Don't make the discussion personal. Ad hominem arguments are weak sauce, rhetorically speaking, and rude to boot. If you cannot make your point stick without being personally rude, your point isn't worth making.

Kid: I'd like to manipulate higg's bosom to change the mass of objects. Woot!

Me: If you work hard enough, maybe you'll help make this happen one day.

Kid: Hypocrite! /hisss

Aside from how no kid is going to propose that, you mean? And aside from how I wasn't talking to a kid?

And aside from how setting someone up with unrealistic expectations is a great way to get them to give up when they realize they aren't possible?

And aside from how there are plenty of cool things we could talk about said kid doing that are attainable, that can also fire them up?

Yeah, aside from all the actual relevant bits, you may have a point. :/

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You call me hypocrite...

I said the act of knowingly misleading people about science, for purposes of getting them to study science, would be hypocritical, yes. It'd be like committing crimes to get a kid to grow up to go into law enforcement.

Have you actually mislead people about science to get them to study science? No? Then you're fine.

If you have... well, you can do better.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm a physicist. I take my science rather seriously.

I'm sorry, but your disapproval doesn't really make me feel bad about that.

Remove ads