• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Noble as a Feat

Soul

First Post
Any one have any thoughts on handling Noble birth as a Feat, or perhaps know of any sources that have done this?

Soul

First Post
Because an aristocrat isn't necessarily someone who is born of noble blood. They could in theory be raised to that station through deeds, or marriage etc.. While using Noble as a class I think is a bit over kill imo. I'm mainly looking for some thoughts or examples of granting some small but worth while ability from a Feat (perhaps one that can be take more than once for increased station). If that makes any sense.

Volaran

First Post
As an option, I seem to recall Kalamar doing something you may enjoy. They took the whole, "Divine Right of Kings" concept and actually translated it into game mechanics. Every 'rightful' noble between...I believe the ranks of Baron and Emperor are actually granted some amount of divine protection.

Khorod

First Post
Noble Rank [General]
You are born into the nobility.
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to Diplomacy, a +2 to your future Leadership score, and an additional 1d4 x 100 starting wealth.

or thereabouts.

BenjaminB

First Post
I love background feats- I use several in my games:

Nobility- more or less as above, you get the Diplomacy bonus and access to levels of society otherwise denied you.

Mystery- you are a memebr of a mystical secret society, with a bonus to a skill or save based on the mystery's ethos- for example the Briarthorn Lodge grants its members- who specialize in hunting undead and outsider menaces- a save bonus against the powers of such creatures. You also have access to the Mytery's resources, but have certain responsibilities as well.

Cult Initiation- you are a member of a secret cult. Works like Mystery with a more religious aspect.

I have a couple of others, but these are the best.

Taluron

Fading Suns D20 by Holistic has 'Social' feats. Included are Noble, Clergy, reputation (good and bad), Wealth and several other areas. Very good writeup IMO.

Amrynn Moonshadow

First Post
I think there can be more than one...

Noble Upbringing:
+2 knowledge: (your choice); +2 Perform

(prereq' education .... ?) (from FRCS)

Noble Lineage:
+2 Diplomacy; +2 Leadership score

(prereq' leadership .... ?)

Noble Extravagance:
+xdx starting gold, but must always try to buy / pay for the best, most expensive things. (no sleeping in stables, has to sleep in best room in inn, etc); once a month may write a letter to a relative asking for more funds. sucess is based on skill check in diplomacy (or bluff ... as the DM sees fit).

have fun with it . . .

Witness

First Post
A couple of thoughts...

If Nobility is a feat, how do you handle nobility as a reward? Often in game, PCs are granted nobility as a reward for a quest. Do they suddenly have the Noble feat? What about a PC marrying into the nobility?I can think of countless situations in which the concept of a characters Nobility can exceed the simple mecanics of a feat.

The best way to handle it is to have seperate mechanics for Noble Npringing, and Nobility itself. Noble Upringing should be a background feat that grants additional starting funds, and situational skill bonuses. Nobility should be a rank based on material wealth, level, aand land ownership

Another idea is that those of Noble blood are in fact ordained by the gods, granting some special or spell-like abilities. aybe all nobles are Aasimir...

Remove ads