• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nobody takes charge...what to do?

Broken Fang

First Post
I'm going to be talking to one of the players and see if they would like to take the "leader" role. The party is under current employment so it does fit the campaign and they did well in the last encounter. Plus it could be us just geeting used to each other, it is a new group, so we could still be getting a feel for each other.

Snofox

First Post
I've been that "leader" PC in a group that otherwise just sat around before. I really sympathise with your situation, believe me, it's no fun for the player either. It's very frustrating knowing there are several intelligent ppl around you and none of them can think of how to get a necklace off the orc chiefs' neck....As far as ways to improve the situation....well, here are some things that MIGHT work (never tried em myself ;D): at character creation have the players include 3-5 plot hooks in their history - work with them to flesh these ideas out into mini adventures. Anything revolving around them should get their interest and involvement up. In game, assign one of them with a specific, important task, that requires the aid of the other PCs - like the tending of the keep or whatever, sorry, can't remember who suggested that, but kudos none-the-less. Have a session dedicated to roleplaying out "Who speaks for this lot of rogues" :). Have the PCs arrested and only allow one of them to speak for the group...whoever speaks is from then on the "leader" at least in the NPC's eyes. Worst case, have a non-game session with the players and identify it as a problem you'd like resovled...good DM's are hard to find and they should at least make an effort to please ya ;D

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
I guess my answer is closest to Numion's.

If there's no active party leader, I find that placing one of the characters in a situation (cursed, bounty on his head, sister kidnapped, etc etc etc) forces one player to make personal choices and try to persuade the group to go along with him. Or, even better, the group will work as a team to try and help him out. At some point during the adventure, the heroes find their "place" within the party.

- Mark

Fenes

First Post
I had a similar problem in my shadowrun group. Both players were playing PCs without much leadership potentional. The gunbunny was designed to be too intellectually challenged to make a leader (in her time in the army she made corporal about 6 times, always getting busted back from sergeant) and the mage was too timid and inexperienced to lead.

Since both PCs were clearly not made to lead, I decided to let the players play what kind of characters they wanted, and not force one of them to lead. I introduced a NPC team leader, and things have been going smoothly ever since. The players take the initiative when their PCs have personal goals, but neither wants to play TacOps or Squadleader, so I took over that part.

It makes planning runs and adventures easier - I can set the plan in advance and don't have to react during game, even though I still present the players (not their PCs) with a a couple options to choose from, and all are happy.

IMHO, too many people, even on this board, think you have to force the players to play smart, assertive characters in D&D. I, on the other hand, let my players play followers if they want to, just as I let them play "stupid" characters without punishing them until all are playing smart, paranoid masterminds.

The goal of the game is to have fun, not to force the players to play leaders when they don't want to.

Broken Fang

First Post
Well what I did was ask for a party volunteer, they did help defend the town the prvious week, and there were openings in the ranks above. One person was "promoted" to active Sgt. while another was given a Corp. position.
This actually did help somewhat and the party began to think before they acted for the most part. I think only once did someone do something rash...that did almost lead to death of a PC.
I think after a few more sessions it might be good. They had a bad time with their previous DM. AC's in the 30's at 3-4th level. They might be getting used to a "realistic" DM. I hope so, because if they don't start working together as a tight-knit band it is going to get ugly when they are facing the higher level creatures/parties that have intelligetn tactics.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads