• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Nolzur creates inclusive miniatures, people can't handle it.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Then they came for the evil orcs and I didn't speak out because at our table it's the gnomes who are deterministically evil.
I loathed losing always evil orcs, what else am I supposed to use to stand in for evil Americans, Russians and Spaniards? n_n

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I loathed losing always evil orcs, what else am I supposed to use to stand in for evil Americans, Russians and Spaniards? n_n

Time-traveling Apartheid-era South African drug dealers. Duh.

(Even better if they are really Nazis who fled to South Africa after WWII.)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Speaking of which, am I the only one who sees a mounted mini and doesn't immediately assume the mounted figure is able to walk unassisted?

I've played in so many games where PCs have had to haul around a dead/paralyzed/petrified/unconscious party member, I just sort of assumed seasoned adventuring parties have and make use of contingency plans for assisted mobility. In my experience, it's usually a jury-rigged saddle or a stretcher designed to be hoisted on ropes when the party is climbing, but adding a wheelchair to the mix doesn't fundamentally change the calculus.

(Maybe the game has gotten easier over the years, so "kids these days" don't have the experience of lugging an incapacitated ally through a dungeon to get them to safety.)
Out of combat healing is not a thing anymore, yes. (along with in-combat preventive healing, and the heal a fallen ally minigame)

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
tfw I've always pictured orcs as British football hooligans.

OMG.

When I was 17 and on my way back to the states after a semester abroad in Germany, I ended up spending a night in Gatwick airport, sleeping in a waiting area. In the middle of the night a horde (see what I did there) of soccer fans came in, singing "No surrender, no surrender, no surrender to the IRA!" over and over and over and over again.* I just pretended I was able to sleep through it and hoped they wouldn't bother me.

Your comment gives me a whole new perspective of that night.

*I just found this on YouTube. Same song.

WyrmworksDale

InclusiveRPG.com
I would have thought being blind granted the blinded condition by default.
Aside from blindness being a spectrum, the "Blinded" condition assumes the character hasn't learned to adapt to their condition. Most blind people, even completely blind, get around just fine, and while their senses aren't heightened, they've learned to rely on them more, so when I'm in the dark, yeah, I'm pretty useless and flailing all over at every sound and tripping on everything, because sight is my primary sense. I rely on it over everything else.

But if I have little or no sight, I'd have to depend on hearing to determine the size of a room, the proximity of walls, the approach of anything, etc. I'm going to feel air movement and pressure changes more readily, because I'm used to paying attention to that.

5e conditions are sudden and temporary. If you read the RAW, they give a sense of ending at some point. They were never designed for permanent experiences that people adapt to over time.

I’ve discovered that there’s a little sub genre of zombie stories featuring protagonists in wheelchairs or dealing with other disabilities. (Like diabetes in a world with no more ready supply of insulin! That could get ugly.) Since I love distinctive zombie stories, I need to look into some.

Now to see what I can find in fantasy fiction.
Then you'll be interested in the TTRPG Survival of the Able.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
If you like that, you'll love Bubba Ho-Tep:)
As a longtime fan of Lansdale, Campbell, and Coscarelli, I fell on it with glad cries when it first came out. Haven’t changed my mind since. I love how much sincere admiration and respect there is along with the comedy - it’s what makes the horror meaningful.

The movie is nothing like the book, which is sad because the book is so good, but it's honestly a fine little zombie movie on its own merits (and the concept of zombie hordes as rushing water and crashing waves was pretty cool).

I would say to everyone that can that they should absolutely listen to the audiobook version of the original book. The cast is ridiculously talented, it's almost more like a radio play. Can't recommend highly enough.
You are 100% right about World War Z. It’s one of the two finest ensemble vocal cast audiobooks I know. (The other is Dracula with Tim Curry and Alan Cummings.)

Aside from blindness being a spectrum, the "Blinded" condition assumes the character hasn't learned to adapt to their condition. Most blind people, even completely blind, get around just fine, and while their senses aren't heightened, they've learned to rely on them more, so when I'm in the dark, yeah, I'm pretty useless and flailing all over at every sound and tripping on everything, because sight is my primary sense. I rely on it over everything else.

But if I have little or no sight, I'd have to depend on hearing to determine the size of a room, the proximity of walls, the approach of anything, etc. I'm going to feel air movement and pressure changes more readily, because I'm used to paying attention to that.

5e conditions are sudden and temporary. If you read the RAW, they give a sense of ending at some point. They were never designed for permanent experiences that people adapt to over time.

Then you'll be interested in the TTRPG Survival of the Able.
Note that the "Blinded" condition doesn't impede a character's mobility in any way.

Raiztt

Adventurer
Out of curiosity - why? Why can't it be a wheelchair? Why would magical spiderlegs be better than magical wheels?
Because legs are much more efficient for traversing difficult terrain than wheels. So much so that some civilizations that lived in highly mountainous regions never developed the wheel, because it would have been impractical. Legs, however, have a much wider range of mobility and allow for a lot more traversal. 6 or 8 legs even more so.

So, it would make more sense for magical innovations in prosthetics or mobility aids to be able to cater to the life of an adventurer. Hence, not wheels.

As a reminder, we saw Bran in a wheelchair in GoT, right? There were priests in that setting that raised the dead - but Bran was in a wheelchair. And he was a pretty powerful magical being, in the end, and stayed in his chair.
I get the point you're making, but if you wheeled Bran out in front of a group of brigands or needed him to ascend a rugged mountain he wouldn't have faired so well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads