• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non Conventional Campaign Settings

L0rd_Dark0n

First Post
Can anyone recommend any non conventional D20 campaign settings that are out there for sell or for free download? I'm looking for something different than the Forgotten Realms, Scarred Lands, Greyhawk type settings. Interesting new ideas for gaming such as a campaign setting where the characters in the game are actually in a dream world or something. When they get reduced to below 0 HP, they actually wake up. You know, something different. Thanks

Usurper

First Post
I recommend Planescape. There's no D20 release yet (try planewalker.com or google for the conversion sites), but Manual of the Planes has a lot of the pieces you'd need. FRCS has the aasimar, tiefling, and genasi stats you might want, and the old 2E books are at RPGNow for something like 5 bucks a pop (and you only need the fluffy bits from those).

DiFier

First Post
The first game I played when I started 3e was knida unique. unfortunatlly My DM doesn't remember where he found the adventure (it was a free web adventure I think) and it didn't fit our charachters so we didn't play very long.

basically at the begining of the campaign each of the charachters die. they wake up in the after life or an afterlife. everyone has scars of how they dies. Dagger wound to the skull, rope burn from being hung ect.

there are some kind of cults and we thought that the cults were vieing for a return to life but the adventures hadn't been finished when we played them (2 years ago) the group self destructed because 2 players just wanted to do their own things and seem to be trying to screw over the rest of the group and we didn't want it to turn into a battle royal between the players.

Has anyone else hear of this adventure? If so do you know where I can find it? I would be interisted in checking it out becuase I want to do a write up of our adventure because in hindsite it was very funny.

Well, first off, I wouldn't lump Scarred Lands with FR or GH -- it's a pretty non-conventional setting, I think.

I'd also recommend Midnight by FFG - kinda what it would have been like it Sauron won the war of the Ring.

Dragonstar, also by FFG - D&D in space. Very non-conventional.

Iron Kingdoms - vaguely Steampunkish. Sorta non-conventional, but not too far from the tree.

L0rd_Dark0n

First Post
I believe that campaign setting you're referring to DiFier is called False World. Well, there are TWO campaign settings similiar to that. One is a purchasable campaign setting called "Dungeon World", I believe. The other is for free download, and is called False World. The main continent is called Agartha.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Joshua Dyal said:
Well, first off, I wouldn't lump Scarred Lands with FR or GH -- it's a pretty non-conventional setting, I think.

Yep unlike other campaign settings, we don't have a guardian of magic. It's raw and free. Plus druids do more than grow stuff. :)

coyote6

Adventurer
Fantasy Flight's Midnight, definitely.

Malhavoc's Diamond Throne (the Arcana Unearthed setting) might be different enough, too, but I'm not sure how defined it's going to be (versus being implied).

WizarDru

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
Yep unlike other campaign settings, we don't have a guardian of magic. It's raw and free. Plus druids do more than grow stuff. :)

I'm not sure why you and Joshua think that the Scarred Lands isn't a more traditional setting. Is it different from Greyhawk and FR? Sure. Is it really that far off the beaten path from regular D&D? As far as I've seen, not really...certainly not even as much as Oriental Adventures, for example.

Ghostwalk sounds like it might be closer to what he's looking for, or something much more exotic, depending. It sounds like he's looking for something that goes in another direction beside the standard D&D tropes (and the minor changes to spellcasters in SL doesn't really seem to be where he's driving at). I'm not faulting SL as a setting...it seems to be a really good one, from what I've seen. But at the end of the day, it looks like a specific implementation of standard D&D with some interesting house-rules, such as whole wizard-heat thing. I might be misunderstanding, but I think he's tired of Vanilla, wants to know about other flavors, and you're offering him French Vanilla, instead. :)

Paka

Explorer
Midnight is a fantastic worldbook. New takes on magic, classes, and Heroic Paths are nifty.

Midnight is also an easy game to pitch: Tolkienesque world where the Sauron-figure won the war 99 years ago.

Arcana Unearthed's Diamond Throne settings really does look fantastic too.

I don't buy every book to hit the stands by a long shot but both of those have spots on m shelf waiting for 'em.

Remove ads