• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-Epic Level Spell Creation

CrazyNinjabeast

First Post
I'm an 18 level Cleric with a 24 going in on spellcraft (wich is enough to creat some Epic spells) so I would like to put it to good use prior to level 21. So I've scoured the internet and texts to no avail, does anyone out there have rules for spell creation? The have to include cost (Gold or XP), time, DC modifiers and all that fun stuff.

Thanks for all your help :D

aboyd

Explorer
Page 35 of the DMG. This information is not part of the SRD, nor is it open content. It's copyrighted and kept private as an incentive to force people to buy the DMG. So you won't find it online unless you resort to piracy, which nobody here can recommend.

Having said that, the very general rule is "keep the power of new spells at the same level as similar spells in the core game."

If you would like to see an example of someone (myself) walking through the creation of a new spell, and trying to keep it in line with the power of existing spells, you may review my creation of the Unseen Facet spell.

The costs to a spellcaster who wishes to create a spell (the research costs and such) are touched on in the DMG, but I don't recall how deep that discussion goes.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I would look at Pathfinder's Ultimate Magic. PF is still 3e (especially the magic system), and the book supposedly has more detailed spell creation guidelines than have been presented before, presumably worked on by a lot of the core 3e staff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads