Non-hostile Monsters (in a dungeon)

Hi folks, it's always fun to meet non-hostile monsters in dungeons to talk to. But it can be hard to come up with good reasons for such creatures to be there. After all, why haven't the dominant dungeon monsters destroyed them?

Following are a few classic possibilities. The non-hostile monster could be -

* a prisoner
* a reluctant servant
* a ghost
* in hiding

What are some other great examples of non-hostile monsters in a dungeon context?

swordpeddler

First Post
Wandering merchants!! I love those in CRPGs. Just like, a goblin with a big backpack who wants to buy my useless junk and sell me some overpriced bobbles.

If you're world is a world where adventurers spend a lot of time in dungeons/murderholes then maybe there is a network of monsters who relate news and events or have information all relating to the dungeons.

A

amerigoV

* An independent power. If its a large complex with a number of factions, they may just be a small haven in the middle of all that fun (for example, replace one of the innumerable goblin tribes in the caves of chaos with a small dwarven outpost).

Depends upon your dungeon... but;
- other adventurers
- explorers or "scientists" or researchers
- mining survey party
- a group of outcasts or hermits
- a religious outpost, like a group of Kelemvor's priests that are trying to put a stop to undead rising/re-animating
-snverblin (or however you spell them), I believe they are not evil right and they live underground.
- gnome or dwarves who are trying to re-establish a fallen city/town

pdzoch

Explorer
* injured (or victim of the dungeon denizens or other natural problem)
* lost ( party happened upon the friendly monster who is out of its element or separated from its band and is not interested in starting a fight without some backup)
* in the dungeon/area for a competing or parallel purpose (so does the party help? Is there an advantage to teaming up? Or is this friendly monster going to cause problems later on?)
* opportunist (carved out a section of the dungeon or hiding place to own while it pilfers the spoils of the dungeon denizens -- food, gold, magic)

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
After all, why haven't the dominant dungeon monsters destroyed them?
I guess that depends on who the dominant monsters are. If they are intelligent beings, as well, there could easily be some truce in place.

Also, you seem to assume that the dominant monsters being 'hostile' means that it's not possible to 'talk' to them. I don't see how that's a given, unless they're mindless. And if they're actually mindless, how did they end up being dominant? Even the most 'hostile' monsters tend to have motivations that could potentially be exploited by the player characters.

To be honest, I actually hate adventure modules that tell me 'the monsters cannot be negotiated with and attack on sight'. Imho, that's extremely unimaginative and lazy design. Unless you're a big fan of straightforward hack & slay adventures, this gets old really fast.

X13Phantom

Explorer
I had a mad demilich that was just lonely join the party out of curiosity and to pester the group with vague clues while exploring a pyramid. Also to laugh at their misfortune.

Celebrim

Legend
What are some other great examples of non-hostile monsters in a dungeon context?

Holy Preserve: Somewhere in the dungeon is a sanctuary against the darkness, which is guarded by a celestial of some sort.
Traitor/Spy: Someone in the dungeon isn't loyal to the main faction.
Mercenary: Someone in the dungeon is loyal only to coin, and their loyalty can be bought off.
Mystic/Oracle: Someone in the dungeon is not loyal to the main faction, but they are nonetheless honored/esteemed/worshiped by the main faction.

If the dungeon is large enough, it can hold multiple factions. At that point, you just need to separate them by a certain distance.

pemerton

Legend
I'm not sure anyone has mentioned rivals yet - eg given that orc tribes mostly hate one another, if you're at war with tribe X you might be able to treat with tribe Y down the hall.

Remove ads