Non-hostile Monsters (in a dungeon)

I recently had a guardian construct in my campaign, who only attacked people who touched the treasure that it was guarding. So as long as the players didn't touch the treasure, he would be a powerful ally against the bad guy.

But then all of a sudden, the bad guy created an illusion that made it look as if one of the players was covered in treasure. And that is when the creature turned hostile.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Well, someone has to clean up those traps. All those dead bodies will really stink up the place.

* A "hostile" monster who's under some punishment who helps the party to get revenge. (I think Hellbound used this)
* children: if this is where the monsters live, it's likely some will have kids.

swordpeddler

First Post
Innocent bystanders are great too. Since GOG made NwN free this week I've decided to give it a new run through; I did two levels of the Infinite Dungeon and then ran my character through To Heir Is Human (one of the tool kit example module). In Heir there is a rock gnome hanging out in a cave who was one of the BBEG's slaves. He hands out a side quest.

You could easily take monsters that would normally be killed on sight and then give them a little bit more sentience and give them something to do. Like a goblin running away from the main tribe, an orc that has had a change of conscience, a vegetarian owl bear, etc.

Could be lots of fun.

Koloth

First Post
Who says the non-hostile being ISN'T the dominate critter in the dungeon? Thinking maybe a 25th level Wizard that just wants some peace and quiet while she performs research. The various other critters serve to keep the meddling kids away and the survivors have learned to leave her alone. If you make it as far as her lab and are quiet and respectful, she serves you a nice batch of cookies and tea and maybe even helps your own wizard with a spell or two. Otherwise, you get teleported to a far away desert. Your clothes and other items stay behind to help fund her research. You DO have survival skills don't you?

Mad_Jack

Legend
Diplomats, traders or liaisons...

The minion sent by a BBEG runs into the party as he's about to go into or just finished negotiations with the humanoid tribe/ogre/whatever - if he's smart, he makes a judgement call on whether or not it's better to call in the newly-hired mooks to handle the party or decide that they're a lost cause about to get murder-hobo-ed, cut his losses and vacate the premises posthaste while wishing the party well on their level-grinding...
Maybe he decides the party would be a better fit for his master's purposes and makes them the offer instead...

On an entirely different track, maybe the "monsters" are just non-hostile in general, and happy to interact in a non-violent manner with the party. If they have issues with their fellow tenants, enlightened self-interest may dictate that that being helpful to the party improves their situation.
Or perhaps the non-hostile creatures are prospective new tenants in the process of "evicting" the old ones...

Last edited:

Remove ads