Non-magical crafting fix

Bront

The man with the probe
Non-magical crafting happens at 1 GP per (Check Result - 10) per day

This means you could craft a masterwork longsword in 30 days for the masterwork, and another 2 days for the other part, as opposed to 53 days for masterwork and 5 days for the other part (assuming a minimum for crafting masterwork with a take 10). It's still hard enough to do that you're not going to have everyone crafting the realy cool stuff, it's simpler to keep track of, and it makes the craft times of reasonable items (Masterwork non-magical stuff) more reasonable.

Even at +30 to craft, this is better than the current system, but it gets closer. However, what you get is a more even progression of the skill vs time to craft.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
I think this is a viable fix that doesn't break things too much. I was expecting more of a fiat system that I wouldn't support (something like "a boat should be long and a sword should be short, so they are"), so I'm pleasantly surprised :) I'd like to see more discussion on exact details, of course, but this is a great start.

Bront

The man with the probe
The idea is simple and faster. Fiat isn't simple, and this is definately faster. The only "problem" with it is that it doesn't reward/penalize you for rolling vs taking a 10, but taking a 10 makes the most sense in most cases.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
The idea is simple and faster. Fiat isn't simple, and this is definately faster. The only "problem" with it is that it doesn't reward/penalize you for rolling vs taking a 10, but taking a 10 makes the most sense in most cases.
The simple fix if you want to have rolling is to allow any successful roll to generate roll result - 10 gold per day ;)

Ferrix

Explorer
While, I'm still not a huge fan of just changing the amount of worth you craft per day, this is a simple solution. It should also be rephrased to be a bit clearer if we do use it.

The reason for my lack of happiness with it is still that two equal crafters, whether master artisans or apprentices, result in the fact that an adamantine breastplate will take longer to craft than a sailing ship. An utterly ridiculous notion.

Bront

The man with the probe
Unfortunately, that may be something a bit more radical.

Obviously, any feats that adjust crafting time adjust how much you get done in a day instead. 25% reduction in time = 20% increase in work done over same time, etc.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Unfortunately, that may be something a bit more radical.

Obviously, any feats that adjust crafting time adjust how much you get done in a day instead. 25% reduction in time = 20% increase in work done over same time, etc.
Yep. Definitely and absolutely so :)

Someone

Adventurer
I had a set of house rules that changed crafting times, based on item complexity, material and size. It need a lot of work, but I could post them here if you´re interested.

Remove ads