• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-Monks and Unarmed Attacks

The Iron Mark

First Post
How can you get extra unarmed attacks if you're not a monk? Would the TWF route yeild more attacks or do nothing since flurry of blows is like TWF but for unarmed attacks. Does this change if you wore gauntlets, spiked, bladed, or otherwise?

Edit:Another question concerning unarmed attacks. If I have a feat or class ability that only work if my off-hand is empty, is my off-hand empty when I attack unarmed? I know it seems stupid, but if you can use TWF to get extra attacks if you're not a monk, that could confuse things. Thank you for answering.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
TWF is how a non monk would be able to get an extra attack. TWF can be done with unarmed attacks, gauntlets, or weapons.

The Souljourner

First Post
What Crothian said. Also, about the "off hand being empty" that really depends on your DM. In general I'd say if the hand is empty, doesn't matter if you're attacking with it. However, some DMs might say you're bending the spirit of the rules. *shrug*

-The Souljourner

BlindKobold

First Post
The main difference between flurry of blows and TWF is

a) TWF & Ambidexterity are required to make an additional attack at a cost of -2 to each attack, whereas FoB is a class ability

b) With FoB, you get full STR bonus to every attack... with TWF, the off-hand gets half strength

c) FoB can only be done with monk unarmed attack or special monk weapons, TWF can be done with any weapon

Remove ads