Non-optimized character

mneme

Explorer
Re Expanded spellbook: I'd drop it and make it a priority to get Tome implements instead -- as every Tome you own adds two daily spells if its level or lower to your spellbook -and- lets you use the tome (as a daily power) to trade out one of the powers you prepared for the one in the Tome. (even if you then use the power with your primary implement). Same (better) effect -and- lets you actually use the extra powers (twice per day, at that, as you can prepare it and also use the Tome daily to gain access to it a second time at need).

DracoSuave

First Post
Expanded Spellbook is a perfectly fine feat if you know what you're getting into in terms of the game.

What it -does- allow is the DM to start worrying less about douching a party on, say 'fire resistant monstesr' vs the fire mage, or whatever.

That opens up the amount of adventures possible, which makes the game have more variety for everyone.

This is an unmitigated good.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Like the others, I concur that your build is perfectly playable.

Indeed, the only concern I have with it is that both of your "boosting" stats (int and dex) both benefit the same defence (reflex), meaning that both of your other non-AC defences are going to lag somewhat. And from my own experience with my sorceress being hit on fort with a 4 in one recent battle, that can potentially be unfun. That said, its easily fixable with a couple of feats once you hit paragon.

Just be careful of baddies targetting will and fort in the meantime. :)

Incidentally, if you are only bumping Dex for arcane reach, use your level 8 bump for something else - no need to buy a 15 at level 8 when the "+1 to everything" bump at 11 will bring it to 15 anyway.

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Having played in 3 different 4E games with 4 different wizards, I can categorically state that the only important decision you need to make in regards to your wizard is this:

How often are you going to lay down blasts and bursts that include your own party members in their damage areas?

This is critical, and you want to establish your response as early as possible so your allies don't get too upset.

IMHO, all 4E wizards should be nicknamed "Friendly Fire." :heh:

Remove ads