• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-random D&D Miniatures

Kunimatyu

First Post
Mark CMG said:
Standard, please. Orc Warriors will do.

Ah, now it all makes sense.

Orc Warriors, using the standard Monster Manual weaponry, are from Harbinger, the first set. (and also Aberrations, which featured an uncommon Orc Sergeant with a falchion) Because they're from Harbinger, they obviously command a much higher pricepoint. If you're using that as a comparison, you'll come out with a very distorted view of things.

I'm not trying to come across as insulting, but you need to stop with this, take a step back, and recognize that you're being way, way, way too picky with your standards here. It's well within your power to get a decent range of orcs with a nice array of weapon types -- even if they aren't the exact MM3.5 standard, sure -- for a reasonable price, probably far more reasonable than you'd ever see as a standalone pack. Altering your standards so that only falchion-wielding orcs from the first set will suffice for comparison just serves to make your position look even sillier.

Agamon

Adventurer
I just now understood this as well, looking over Oryan77's mini list. Harbinger minis are expensive because they're so rare. If you go with some of the orcs released in newer sets, you can get 3 or 4 for a buck.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Agamon said:
It's 8 orcs, all different poses. There are 3 sets available.

I see a starting bid of $7.99 and no "buy now" button (+ $3.95 for standard shipping).

Agamon said:
(. . .)how could WotC put out 20 minis for under $20, when 8 minis cost almost that much right now?

Sameness. Two or four poses, all similar color schemes, easier to package (plastic bag with a folded piece of cardboard at top with a hole for the peg board rack), maybe no need for the playing cards or any stuff inside the package besides the minis themselves. It would be orders of magnitude cheaper to churn out, like dime store army men, but with cheap paint jobs.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Kunimatyu said:
If you're using that as a comparison, you'll come out with a very distorted view of things.

The orc warrior is the closest thing to a MM standard orc.

Kunimatyu said:
Altering your standards so that only falchion-wielding orcs from the first set will suffice for comparison

Point me to twenty of those, please.

Agamon

Adventurer
I think that's our point. Who's got 20 Harbinger commons of the same type (especially of a popular creature like an orc) for sale? Especially for a buck a peice? The market isn't supplying that.

Orc Raiders, Orc Maulers, Savage Orcs and Mountain Orcs are much easier to find and much cheaper. But, I'll agree that the DDM line needs a "plain" orc released in a new set. That's more achievable than a bag'o'orcs.

dragon_r

Explorer
I would like to see a group of elementals, or summon monster packs, or Summon nature's ally. I think this would do a great unrandomized packs. Since most people use these spells.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Agamon said:
I think that's our point.

Kinda the problem, here. I'm making a point that something I'd like to see available, isn't available. Then folks keep claiming it is, when it isn't. Then when they finally listen to what I am saying, specifically, they seem to argue that I shouldn't be wanting it in the first place. It's quite confusing.

It's like going into a store and asking for a blue sweater only to be sent to a sweater rack where there aren't any blue sweaters. Then, when pointing out that there is a lack of blue, being shown every other color under the sun and when I explain that the ones shown aren't blue, I am told I shouldn't want blue.

There's really no point in arguing about what I want. It is what it is, and it's obviously something that can be accomplished. WotC just needs to adjust things in a way to make it profitable enough for themselves to justify it.

Pbartender

First Post
Nifft said:

Not quite... Read the fine print.

$1.50 shipping for a single miniature (excludes Huge sized).

All other shipping if you win multiple items is a simple flat rate of $3.85.

That's $2.00 for one orc at worst, and about $0.76 per orc at best (which is, admittedly, not too bad)... Unless you buy $99+ worth of stuff from this guy, then it's free shipping.

:)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
If anyone is in the area (Chicagoland), Games Plus is having their auction (it's twice a year) in a couple of weeks. Wednesday will include collectibles (cards, minis, etc.). We'll see what the going prices for such things are then, as usually there's a dealer or three and they usually bid stuff up to a fair price but not so much they can't make a buck or two. Of course, no shipping charges apply.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads