• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

non spellcasting ranger

Belgarath

First Post
I am trying to put together a lower magic level campaign. The main problem is that only 3 ( 4 if you include the monk) of the 11 classes are non spell casters. I intend on keeping the cleric and either the wizard or sorcerer (choice left up to the players) as the spellcasters. This will lead the players with very few classes to choose from, however.

I like the idea behind the ranger, but dont want him to have spells. Does anyone have a variation for this? I would also like to have any other ideas on classes that might be helpful.

hong

WotC's bitch
Give him a bonus feat from the list of fighter feats every time he would get a new spell level. Bonus feats are usable only in light or no armour.

Also, this should be in House Rules.

Tsyr

Explorer
You could check out the WoT "woodsman" class. That's the class I know a lot of people on this board (myself included) call a "ranger" in their game. It's a good, woodsmany, non-casting ranger.

Darklone

Right

Yeah use the woodsman and something similar. Same thing with paladin perhaps, make him a church knight .)

Tone down the spells a cleric knows and the spells a wizard gets, make it hard for them to learn new ones and you got a nice low magic setting.

Tsyr

Explorer
As an alternate, you might want to check out Sov. Stone. It's a campagin setting that isn't low magic, but has a grand total of one casting class. (wellllll... two, but they are identical in all but their focus)

Skywalker

Adventurer
I was always partial to letting them take an extra 2 skill points per level instead of spell casting. However I use a underpowered version of Monte Cook's alt ranger so I am probably not the best person to talk to :)

Remove ads