• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-Standard Map Fragments to a Dragon's Lair

geezerjoe

First Post
Gemstones -- One to five gemstones that have certain imperfections. When sunlight or moonlight or whatever is shinned though, forms the portions of a map (perhaps 3d). Alternately, maybe the gems are in the form of a necklace that often gets tangled up. It gets tangled often because it is supposed to get tangled and if done is just the right way and light shined through will reveal the entire map.

Swords A matched set of masterwork swords whos blades are etched with a series of scenes that alone don't make much sense, but when placed in order (perhaps by the value of the gemstones in the pomel, or length of blade, or date of manufacture) would provide a rather detailed story.

A Slab of Stone Almost used this one once as a library item. A small groups of Kobolds have taken refuge in a secret room. The room is trashed but one small item of un-intrest includes a slab of rock that the kobolds eat off of as a group. The slab is actually a cuniform covered tablet that contains partial information of the DM's choosing.

I can do more but will stop with 3 since they are very simular and I'll just get into a rut ;) :p

l8r)

Joe2Old

nyrfherdr

First Post
These are all really cool ideas.
geezerjoe: I love the gemstones idea!

Another idea is to have records of Dragon attacks.
If you pinpoint all of the Dragon attacks on a map they spiral out from a general area.

Or
You could have a Magic Mouth speak at intervals from a fixed location at a fixed time interval. If you don't get to it in time, you have to wait.

geezerjoe

First Post
Since nyrfherdr liked the gemstones idea my mind went staight to "How can I do something else just like that?" ... I guess I can't hate Hollywood as much anymore. But my idea ... just like the gemstones one, but different, is to have a magic item kinda like a cross between the puzzle box from the Hellraiser movies and R2D2. Solver the puzzle and an image forms of an outlying map with full 360 degree views in 3D. Then after 10-100 seconds vanishes until the puzzle is solved again. Each attempt requiring time and an Int test or maybe appropriate skill check (?).

Hows that?

J2O

Nifelhein

First Post
Heretic Apostate said:
The traditional map to a dragon's lair is just some drawings on a piece of (what's it called, animal hide turned into "paper").

The original poster is asking for non-traditional maps. Ways of finding a dragon's lair without the ease of having an actual map handed to you.
Ah, now i got it, thanks for the explanation!

My suggestion:

The Dragon had a link of gratitude to a mortal kin once, this mortal had saved its offspring. The dragon then gave him/her a unique gift: A ring.

This ring has a dragon in its exterior and is acutally a connection to the dragon's vault, when the proper words are spelled the ring releases a figment of a dragon and this figment fly in the direction of the vault for some seconds.

The gift was handed because the dragon promised the mortal eternal acess to its library of ancient tomes, which would be impossible to find to all but those who know where to search.

geezerjoe

First Post
An Astrolabe that when pointed towards a specific star will show a small arrow within the glass of the viewing part (?!?) that indicates the directon needed to travel to reach the treasure. The color of the arrow may indicate a general distance or change in elevation needed.

An overly intricate lock in a chest The lock is realitivly easy to pick since the real treasure lies hundres of miles away. If the secret of the lock can be solved, the key holder / lock picker and any touching the chest are transported to the actual treasure lair. This could come as quite a shock if there are additional guardians or lack of light source (how many theives say "Here hold this torch for me while I pick this lock" ? Probably a bunch ::evilgrin::

J2O (Im noticing many of mine are mechanical)

alsih2o

First Post
geezerjoe said:
Since nyrfherdr liked the gemstones idea my mind went staight to "How can I do something else just like that?" ... I guess I can't hate Hollywood as much anymore. J2O

ah, the painful honesty of creation. tough, isn't it?

good for oyu for admitting it :)

geezerjoe

First Post
Yeah alsih2o ... I've found most of the things I hate in others I can usually find in myself :( So it's my duty to expose it just as much in myself :)

J2O

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads