• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-Superhero Books

jonathan swift

First Post
What non-superhero comics are people reading. I'm looking for new titles to check out and I'm a bit worn out on the superhero genre. Looking for fantasy, sci-fi, horror, anything really.

Glyfair

Explorer
Mouse Guard!

He just started the second series (Winter 1152) and I am enjoying it a lot. It's no Bone, and it doesn't reach the first half of Cerebus, but it is better than the second half of Cerebus.

jonathan swift

First Post
I've been meaning to check out Mouse Guard mainly due to my childhood love of the Redwall novels.

So Bone is good as well eh? I always see the giant trade of it at book stores and wonder if it is worth picking up.

Villano

First Post
I don't collect that many comics anymore, and the only one that I get that definitely isn't superhero is Jonah Hex, a western.

If you close one eye and squint, you might be able to include Newuniversal, which deals with superhuman people in the "real world" (kind of like TV's "Heroes"). Unfortunatley, that's on hiatus.

Checkmate is a good spy comic and She-Hulk is a comedy, but they are both set in a mainstream, superhero universe even if they aren't typical superhero comics themselves.

Rackhir

Explorer
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

While you can read it online. They do also sell very nice dead tree editions as well. In fact I can recommend whole heartedly ANYTHING by Phil Foglio. He's due to be reprinting his excellent "Buck Godot : Zap Gun for Hire" soon. Also his classic adaptation of the first Myth Adventure's book is getting a reprint sometime this fall. If you can find it his "Stanley and His Monster" comic mini-series is absolutely hysterically funny.

http://www.adistantsoil.com/

This long running saga (started back in '85, restarted two or three times over the decades since then) is finally approaching it's conclusion. There's collected volumes available.

Glyfair

Explorer
jonathan swift said:
So Bone is good as well eh? I always see the giant trade of it at book stores and wonder if it is worth picking up.

Bone is the comic I got the most non-comics readers into. I love it.

Of course, I am a huge Walt Kelly Pogo fan. Not a lot of people know about Pogo today, even though it was a trailblazer in the comic strip field (was one of the first comic strips banished to the opinion pages in some newspapers).

In fact, the Complete Pogo is coming out later. As collections go, that's at the top of my list.

Mallus

Legend
If you're looking for something noir-ish, check out David Lapham's Stray Bullets. The first 10-12 are basically awesome, particularly the issue that introduces the character Amy Racecar.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Maus, Art Spiegelman
A Contract with God, Will Eisner
From Hell, Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell
Ghost World, Daniel Clowes
Road to Perdition, Max Allan Collins
Blankets, Craig Thompson
Box Office Poison, Alex Robinson
V For Vendetta, Alan Moore
Lone Wolf and Cub, Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima
Whiteout, Greg Rucka
Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth, Chris Ware
Three Fingers, Rich Koslowski
Y The Last Man, Brian K. Vaughan
Torso, Brian Michael Bendis
Stray Bullets, David Lapham

SteelDraco

First Post
Fables, by Bill Willingham. Fantastic stuff. It's modern-day fantasy with fairy tale characters. Very enjoyable reads, and there are trades up to fairly close to the current issue.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads