• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Nonwildshaping Druid?

Naoki00_

First Post
I'm not really a spell caster most of the time but I thought I'd pull out the druid for our Rise of the Runelords game this time, my only issue is that honestly I don't really want wildshape at all. I'm aware that it's a 'big factor' for the druid usually, but the character really doesn't fit the shapeshifting idea. I know a simple solution would be to just not use it at all but it just sorta rubs me the wrong way to have something sitting useless on a character sheet.

Does anyone have things you use to replace wild shape? Someone suggested a secondary domain for example.

Crothian

First Post
Wildshape is pretty powerful I think more then a domain would be needed. There are some archtypes that don't use wild shape those would probably be a good starting point.

Naoki00_

First Post
Wildshape is pretty powerful I think more then a domain would be needed. There are some archtypes that don't use wild shape those would probably be a good starting point.

I really only found the Storm Lord archetype that did it, and while thats fine I don't really want to be focusing on storm related themes over the existing one I have (plants and earth mostly, being a Briarborn)

Starfox

Hero
3.5 had a Spirit Shaman that was a spontaneous caster and quite powerful. They got to change their list of known spells each day. It was in Complete Divine. Might ask your GM to allow that.

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
Druids are a great class. They have decent weapon and armor proficiencies, good survival based skills, and being a full caster of course. I don't think that there is an archetype (only one is Feral Child) that removes wildshape completely, but in my opinion, you don't want to. It's a fun class without wildshape, but i personally think wildshape may be the best ability in the game.

You hit it in your original post, you have it, just don't use it if you don't like it. In reality though, once you have it, you'll find that it can be very useful. Druids are super variable and wildshape allows you to fit just about any niche the party needs. Which means you can tailor your play to whatever your party needs. If the party rogue is out for a session, you can wildshape into a small creature and be more scouty/stealthy. Fighter can't make it? Become a tiger or a bear and be the shield your casters might need. Help the rogue flank. Or prepare some cure spells and be a decent healer (as a large creature you'll have reach!).

You don't even get wildshape till level four (level six if you're taking an archetype), and it's only 1 extra times per day every two levels. So i guess what i'm trying to say is you won't be using it all the time anyway, until mid/late levels.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I have always been partial to this non-wildshaping variant -- it produces the Druid that I want to play.

It's weaker in absolute terms, but it gives you plenty of fun tools that will make a dynamic character.

(It's the variant I have used for a lizardfolk druid NPC, who was proud of his form and didn't understand why any druid would give up the form nature had given them -- lots of fun)

Naoki00_

First Post
Druids are a great class. They have decent weapon and armor proficiencies, good survival based skills, and being a full caster of course. I don't think that there is an archetype (only one is Feral Child) that removes wildshape completely, but in my opinion, you don't want to. It's a fun class without wildshape, but i personally think wildshape may be the best ability in the game.

You hit it in your original post, you have it, just don't use it if you don't like it. In reality though, once you have it, you'll find that it can be very useful. Druids are super variable and wildshape allows you to fit just about any niche the party needs. Which means you can tailor your play to whatever your party needs. If the party rogue is out for a session, you can wildshape into a small creature and be more scouty/stealthy. Fighter can't make it? Become a tiger or a bear and be the shield your casters might need. Help the rogue flank. Or prepare some cure spells and be a decent healer (as a large creature you'll have reach!).

You don't even get wildshape till level four (level six if you're taking an archetype), and it's only 1 extra times per day every two levels. So i guess what i'm trying to say is you won't be using it all the time anyway, until mid/late levels.

I do know it's one of the better abilities the game has to offer, but the ability doesn't fit my character like..at all lol. The power is really cool, but it builds a pretty definite "this is your big move" feel that I would prefer to be, how to put it...it's a great game mechanic but bad story fit I suppose? I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words.

It's why I was hoping for a replacement though, because it becomes the almost "absolute" best option to do in the later levels and not having feels like a wasted spot on the sheet. I DID however find this recently and I think it might fit really well, but since I don't play druids (or casters in general), I don't know how good or bad it is lol- http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/cor...publishing---druid-archetypes/elementalurgist

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
So play an oracle or cleric with an emphasis on nature related domains, but just call yourself a druid. IMO, the cultural/historical word "druid", in no way implies "shapechanger" that is a D&D thing only.

How about Plantshape?

I know that when I played my last druid I was a "plant" druid like the one you made. Unfortunately, pathfinder only focuses on wildshape as the "focus" ability for the druid. It is a great ability, with tons of versatility, but you have to become an animal. It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense for someone playing a briarborn to turn into a squirrel. Instead, work with your GM a little on this one, and change wildshape to plantshape. I had a druid who could turn into assassin vines, shambling mounds, treants and many other plant type creatures. Unfortunately, I don't have any specifics written down on that character and what creatures I could turn into and at what levels. It was handwritten and lost in a pile somewhere.

Remove ads