• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NOOOOOO ... not a bard... :'(

Ave Rage

First Post
So the game I threw together with my friends is soon to start. As cool as this is, it's making me nervous. Our group consists of five people.

Girl1: Half Orc Bard. I knew she wanted to play a 'crazy' character but damn. She rolled awesome stats though so they should carry her though (18 str, 16cha after race -/+'s )

Girl2: Wanted something 'easy' so she's a fighter. Rolled two 18's and is now a 20str 20dex wood elf. I can't wait to see this in action

Girl3: Same as above, wanted an easy character. She rolled good and is a whip using fighter.

Guy1: He's familiar with AD&D so he picked a rogue and put 18 into INT. My cleric has 3 skills maxed, looking at his skills sheet is just... disgusting with all the things that the halfling can do.

Me: I'm playing a cleric of Lethander since our best caster is a HO-bard, we'll be needing alot of healing. The GM is going to tone down the magic in the campaign to fit the group so it'll be ok.

Since this group is heavy melee and the world is low magic, I can see it easily becoming repetative (in combat atleast), what are some tactics you guys employ to spice it up a little?

Also, I can't decide if I should use my lv.1 spells to buff (+2 ac shield of face) or save it for when they need 1d8+3 healing?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Ave Rage said:
Since this group is heavy melee and the world is low magic, I can see it easily becoming repetative (in combat atleast), what are some tactics you guys employ to spice it up a little?
Are you asking as a player, or as a DM? The worlds I DM are usually low-magic. That doesn't mean fights need be repetitive or boring. There are countless ways to differentiate battles, from terrain to obstacles on the field to weather to the foes themselves.

If you're speaking as a player...well, if the DM is doing his/her job, then you shouldn't have to worry about it. You'll have to come up with new tactics to counter the various situations you find yourself in.

Remove ads