Nordic Noir (and other European tv series)

Mercurius

Legend
So I've been on a Nordic Noir binge lately...some of them are just great. Very atmospheric, generally excellent acting and characters. Plus, its nice to get away from America and some of the annoying cultural traits and tendencies (e.g. everyone's beautiful, obsession with guns and everything being solvable with violence, etc).

I'm including other non-Nordic European series in the mix, as there are some great ones out there. Anyone into these shows, or have recommendations? I like more traditional crime/police stuff, but also supernatural stuff like Dark or Black Spot. And of course I'm looking for stuff that is actually available to stream.

The ones I've watched are: Black Spot (France), The Dark (Germany), Bordertown (Finland), Trapped (Iceland), Fortitude (Britain), Katla (Iceland), Occupied (Norway), and Equinox (Denmark) - all enjoyable to various degrees.

I'm currently watching Occupied - it is well done and keeps me watching, although feels more "Americanized" than most of the others. More of a political thriller.

To-Watch List: Jordskott, Deadwind, The Bridge, Wallander, Valhalla Mysteries, The Forest, Wallander, Capitani, Stay Close, Signs, Marcella, etc.

Any other recommendations, or favorites from the to-watch list?

I've seen quite a few of these. A couple of my favourites are Nordic Murders (which is actually German) and Beck (Sweden).

I'm currently watching "Agatha Christe's Hjaerson" which is Swedish, and as barmy as it sounds, but not really "noir".

Baba

Explorer
If you think you’ll enjoy something older, I remember liking the series of Sjöwall/Wahlöö adaptions with Gösta Ekman.

This is the first one: Roseanna (Video 1993) - IMDb

I only saw the first season of the Bridge (swedish/danish version), but I enjoyed that.

There are tons of different Wallander adaptions, but I enjoyed the ones with Rolf Lassgård, I haven’t seen the ones with Kenneth Branagh.

As for supernatural stuff, it’s not the same genre, but it is certainly nordic and quite dark, Riget (the Kingdom) by Lars von Trier.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
There are great detective noir series on BBC streaming services: Shetland, Vera, and many more (the titles of which escape me at the moment). Both the main and supporting characters feel so much more real than they do in most American crime shows (mind you, American Crime and The Killing -- the latter based on the Danish series "Forbrydelsen" -- arguably were excellent).

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
Shetland and Vera are both based on books by Ann Cleaves, who is well worth reading. But they certainly avoid the plastic actors that blight American cop shows.
My spouse has the complete series of books for both Vera and Shetland. I haven't had the time to read them, but do enjoy both as TV shows.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
It's not detective noir, but I just finished watching Tales from the Loop and can't recommend it enough.

It certainly has a modern fantasy Nordic noir feel to it... with a hint of Twilight Zone meets The Leftovers?

EDIT: The artist whose work inspired both the TV series and the Free League RPG before that is Swedish.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Ragnarok, on Netflix, is definitely worth a watch. Given how pervasive the MCU is these days, it's nice to get a take on Thor and other aspects of Norse mythology that isn't concerned with superheroes.

Remove ads