• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Norse Mythos & Others in 5E

SamWolfeIVI

Villager
I looked in the posts, and didn't find any information concerning whether or not different mythos will be addressed in 5E as they were in the 2E Deities and Demigods book back in the day.Has anyone heard anything concerning this?It would be nice to have guidance regarding Norse, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Egyptian settings etc.Or do we just adapt it to meet our needs for now?/rWolfe

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
No, there's been no indication that a 5E styled "Deities and Demigods" product is on the docket for release any time soon. The 5E Player's Handbook lists the domains for most of the gods from the various D&D setting pantheons (plus "real-world" pantheons of Norse, Greek, and Egyptian)... but if you are looking for statblocks or fluff for any of them, I suspect that will be a long time coming (if at all.) Quite frankly... the fluff/story of the gods for almost all the settings have not changed, so if you own a Deities and Demigods book from a previous edition, the information about them is still pretty valid. But if you need a mechanical statblock for a god... you'll have to make or adapt one yourself.

Tony Vargas

Legend
AFAICT, the only impact a deity has in 5e is alignment and the domain(s) available to clerics, if you can divine (npi) what those should be, the deity is handled.

SamWolfeIVI

Villager
Quite frankly... the fluff/story of the gods for almost all the settings have not changed, so if you own a Deities and Demigods book from a previous edition, the information about them is still pretty valid. But if you need a mechanical statblock for a god... you'll have to make or adapt one yourself.

Ok, that is good to know. I do own a 1E Deities and Demigods. I'll just take a look at it if I need any fluff ideas.
I had no intention of taking on the gods. Hence don't need stat blocks. As I understand how gods are described in 5E, they are basically unattainable beings except from maybe another god.

Hands off as I understand it. Which is better this way.

I remember running campaigns as a player back in the day, where we (the party) was pitted against the elite.
We had one of those DMs who LOVED running VERY HIGH LEVEL and POWERFUL campaigns.
Save the Universe type stuff.
He didn't want to bother with the low level adventures.
I had more magic items than I knew what to do with. (Dual +5 Vorpal Scimitars of Speed) and that was just my one handers. :p Brings back some pretty crazy memories.

Ironically that is exactly how he played any MMORPG ... race to the end and not enjoy any of the storyline. LOL

Wolfe

Lancelot

Adventurer
As a quick suggestion, I'd typically start with the following objective in mind:

Assuming you're going to permit all the standard PH and DMG cleric domains, what's the minimum number of deities you can implement in your converted mythos which provides the players with sufficient options to play the characters they want to play?

Taking the Norse pantheon as an example, let's give it a shot. I'll also try, where possible, to have both a good and a neutral option available to broaden the range of playable cleric characters.

Knowledge: Odin (CG, representing the knowledge he gained from sacrificing an eye), Mimir (N, the beheaded god of wisdom)
Nature: Frey (NG, fertility and the harvest), Skadi (CN, goddess of hunting and skiing / winter?)
Light: Heimdall (LG, guardian of the rainbow bridge), Dagr/Delling (N, god of the day/dawn)
Life: Balder (LG, beauty and rebirth), Freyja (N, goddess of love and fertility)
Trickery: Bragi (NG, music, bards, poetry), Loki (CN, mischief)
Tempest: Thor (CG, thunder and storms), Niord (CN, seas and wind)
War: Sif (NG, goddess of skill-in-battle), Tyr (LN, war and duty)
Death: Hel (NE, queen of the underworld)

Once the basics are covered, I would typically add in any other important gods. For example, Frigg (wife of Odin) might be another option for Knowledge, and Forseti (god of justice) might be another option for War. And then, if required, add secondary domains to some of the deities if justified by their theme. So, maybe Thor also offers the War domain, and Frey also gets the Life domain. This makes the converted pantheon a little more interesting, and not just a straight list of 1 good + 1 neutral deity per Domain.

Just a suggestion, anyway. I've used this "bottom-up" approach (i.e. figure out the PC needs, then modify the gods to suit) many times, and it seems to suit my group well.

S

Sunseeker

I just checked the back of my PHB, it includes Greek, Cletic, Egyptian and Norse pantheons.

I can see how a book might be necessary for D&D-originated pantheons, but I wouldn't bother buying a book that gave a poor-mans coverage of classical mythology, which can pretty much be found everywhere online for free.

Remove ads