• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Northern VA - 4e D&D Worldwide Gameday - UPDATE 10 June

D'karr

Adventurer
fba827 said:
(joke brought on my that itch I have to roll some dice)

I think you forgot to update the date to May 17th :D

(/joke)

Yeah, it would be nice if tomorrow was the release. Only 25 more days to go.

Itchy die rolling finger here too. :D

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I signed up today at the Woodbridge store:

Morning Game: Table 2 Into the Shadowhaunt, Player 5

Evening Game: Table 1 Scalegloom Hall, Alternate

Name is Parker, Sean

I can be reached here or my email is written in the book at the store.

D'karr

Adventurer
Volunteers needed - Update 19 May 2008

Hey, we need more volunteers for Woodbridge. We've gotten an influx of players this past weekend (after seeing us playing Keep on the Shadowfell) So if you know someone interested in running the games please have them contact me (raven0282 at yahoo dot com).

The table information for both stores has been updated, again. Please check your tables.

http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4165332&postcount=2

fba827

Adventurer
About a week left! :)

I know there will be pregen characters, but what sort of things should we bring?

I was thinking of bringing dice, a couple sheets of paper and a pencil -- three things I figure couldn't hurt even if not absolutely necessary.

Anything else that might be a good idea to have handy?

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
fba827 said:
About a week left! :)

I know there will be pregen characters, but what sort of things should we bring?

I was thinking of bringing dice, a couple sheets of paper and a pencil -- three things I figure couldn't hurt even if not absolutely necessary.

Anything else that might be a good idea to have handy?

Good morning. Yes a week to go. Woo Hoo!!! I got the marketing kit yesterday and it has everything needed to run the adventure.

There are 5 pregenerated characters:
Durgen Darksteel - Male Dwarf Fighter
Kelric - Male Human Fighter
Desand Quickfoot - Male Half-Elf Rogue
Althaea Gildleaf - Female Eladrin Wizard
Evon of Pelor - Male Human Cleric

The only thing I'd recommend bringing is a pencil and some dice. Everything else you'll need to play will be provided.

Food IS ALLOWED at the stores. You may bring what you want and you may go and purchase stuff at the restaurants nearby and bring it in. The stores also have snacks so please feel free to support the stores that are supporting us.

We are having a pretty good crowd for this event. I was looking at the signup sheets and we are doing pretty well.

Hope to see many of you at the Woodbridge Store. I know you guys will have some fun.

fba827

Adventurer
I went to the morning session (for those that were there, I was at the Chantilly table DMed by Rishi in the morning, I played the Rogue).

While I did NOT sign up for an evening slot, I was strongly considering staying if there was space, but I was just tired from a late night so I knew I wouldn't make it through the evening.

It was good fun and nice meeting all of you! And thanks to Rishi for DMing and dealing with our antics, and Game Parlor for hosting. I tend to be quiet around new people so I was enjoying myself even if I wasn't loud about it ;)

We made it through without any PC deaths, though three instances of a PC in dieing status for a couple rounds.

About the game rules, it was nice that everyone was able to continuously contribute and even help out in things that were often someone else's business (i.e. it was actually the cleric and wizard that disabled the traps and the cleric overall was able to fight and heal without being the healer only. in fact, I feel like the cleric did more damage (in addition to healing) than the rogue did because of my poor dice skills)

Humorous highlights from the session itself:
1) Kelric getting BBQed in the first encounter
2) The wizard missing his attacks through the final dragon fight only to pluck off 4 damage at the very end doing the ultimate kill steal from his own party
3) The looks on everyone's face when we were doing the smart thing to clear the open area (and leave the door) only to have that choice bite us in the butt... and several kicking while down actions too
4) The initial cleric/wizard gender confusion -- that's all I'll say about that
5) The fact that I never remembered my PCs name so I was always waiting for someone else to go when my PC's name was called for round's actions.
6) Every crit was always a good moment :)

There are more highlights but those are a few that I can type out right now.

D'karr

Adventurer
A good time

Well, the reports I'm getting are all good. So it seems a good time was had by all.

First of all I want to thank the judges for volunteering. Sometimes that is a very thankless job. The truth is that without you, events like this would never happen. I'm sorry that we couldn't do more for you guys. So from the bottom of my gamer heart, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Also to the Game Parlor stores for hosting us. They always provide an awesome and welcoming place for us to game, so please support them.

I saw some very funny things at the tables I DMed, from a dwarf fighter of the Darksteel clan that could not help himself from attacking everything; and I mean everything. To a dwarven fighter of the Ironforge clan that decided that the best way to fight a dragon was to grab him and pull him out of the darkness. The dragon was greatly amused and appreciates your contribution to his required daily dwarven dietary requirements.

To the players, thanks for joining us. I got to meet some pretty funny people and as a judge I enjoyed myself immensely. So to all, thanks.

Wurm1234

Explorer
Feedback after NoVA Gameday

I'm one of the folks who played "Into the Shadowhaunt" in the morning and DM'd in the afternoon at the Chantilly store. I'd like to thank D'Karr for pulling everything together at both the Chantilly and Woodbridge locations. You did a great job getting everything organized and the smooth running of the event (at least from the perspective of those of us in Chantilly) was a testament to your thoroughness. A second hat's off to the Game Parlor folks who let us invade their stores for the day. Thank you too. Couldn't have done it without you.

I had a blast. It isn't often that I get the opportunity to play DnD all day, and I really enjoyed myself. By the time I DM'd in the afternoon, all the players had been introduced to the new rules at least once, and we were off and running pretty quickly. I found, even at first level, that combats were rich and varied and allowed for a fair amount of tactical innovation. The skill challenge in 'Escape from Sembia' took me a little while to get used to as a DM, but it led to some interesting moments, like when the halfling paladin found an empty box in a warehouse and hid from the milling guards. One player took the opportunity to have a cinematic moment by climbing up boxes to a roof and pushing over the stack of boxes and crates to discourage pursuit. Another pulled over a fruit cart to similarly disrupt pursuit. My thanks to the group I played with (Mike, Mike, Sarah, Brandon, Chase and Emily) for appearing to have as much fun playng as I did. Even though my dice have never been as hot as they were yesterday... :cool:

Frylock

Explorer
Miserable

I, for one, had a miserable time. In the morning session, I killed only one of the two children. What's up with that? In the evening session, I killed both children, but no PCs (until the solo encounter).

I have to seriously reconsider ever judging a gameday again, and even whether I'll play 4e at all. It's too easy on the PCs.

[Closed captioning for the humor impaired.]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads