• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Not an Enless Quest book, but something similar

pawsplay

Hero
There were Crossroads adventures, which were very high quality. One of them was based on the Warlock In Spite of Himself.

Somebody, sometime, also wrote a Stainless Steel Rat book that had multiple paths and involved some coin flips.

Are any of these books worth looking up, buying, and playing if there's no nostalgic/sentimental attachment to them?
Honestly: no, probably not. Except that they're fairly cheap on the used book market (well, some of them are, anyway) so you're not out much. I'd try and couple of them and see, but my main attraction to them today is certainly the nostalgia.

diaglo

Adventurer
Are any of these books worth looking up, buying, and playing if there's no nostalgic/sentimental attachment to them?

Bullgrit

not really.

and i own all of them.

the newest attempt at this came out on DVD. Scourge of Worlds.
choose your own adventure on your computer or dvd.
i was hoping wotc was gonna follow it up with more. but they didn't.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I disagree. I think that several of them are quite good indeed and enjoyable to play.

I'm especially fond of the first two Lone Wolf books, the Grey Star books and the Sorcery! series. Among the Fighting Fantasy I would recommend City of Thieves, Deathtrap Dungeon, Caverns of the Snow Witch and House of Hell.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I remember the Fighting Fantasy books being of superior quality to most of the others mentioned in this thread. I suspect it may be fun to run through one or two as a diversion. Some of the FF books included art by Fiend Folio favorite Russ Nicholson (Githyanki, Norker, Githzerai, etc.). Lots of full-page illos of terrible, nasty things.

Uruk

First Post
I probably have 4 Super Endless Quest books and they were a lot of fun when I got them. The cool one in particular gave all the details of Raistlin's trials to become a wizard which I don't think had been written up before. I think I have 3 of the Crossroads books (2 are Xanth and the other is a series I haven't read).

I've also got a Doctor Who one that's got to be 400 pages or so and uses a d6. That's pretty much a solo campaign at that point.

arscott

First Post
I don't remember what the line was called, but TSR also published a line of two-player choose your own adventure games. Each player had their own book, and sort of acted as the DM for the other player.

pawsplay

Hero
I would totally chew through the Lone Wolf books again, they were good. The Crossroads books are flat out awesome. The SJ Games books varied; I remember really liking the samurai one.

There was also a Dragonlance tie in with some dice rolling, where you played Raistlin, that I really liked.

Bullgrit
I can't tell you, since I find it impossible to divorce the two.

At the time, I marvelled at the inventiveness of the authors, coming up with so many wonderful new ideas.

Over the years I gradually found out about the wealth of existing fantasy RPG ideas that they were drawing on (although there was still plenty of original stuff in there as well).

Remove ads