• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Not happy with Grab

Lordhawkins9

First Post
I'm currently DMing for a group that just seems flat out immune to grab. Almost every character has access to a power that moves either another party member or the enemy, which autobreaks grabs.

I'm thinking about getting rid of the autobreak for movement and just granting a bonus of about +2 to the check to break the grab.

It makes grab more than totally useless and maybe the characters will pay more attention to Athletics/Acrobatics.

Any thoughts?

A. I would want to refresh my memory on the rules and errata before suggesting house rules. Perhaps there is something you are missing?

B. Okay, the pcs are built to negate grabs... so let them enjoy doing what they do best and allow their ungrabbableness to shine. Don't nerf them {unfairly} for valid mechanical choices. After all, their focus on this probably left a tactical hole somewhere else.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Penthau

Explorer
How about if the grabber can choose to go with the victim if they are force moved to keep from having the grab broken? They would at least have to come up with some interesting tactics, like pushing them into a narrow hallway where he might have to squeeze or where the grabber might be standing in lava.

Mesh Hong

First Post
I'm currently DMing for a group that just seems flat out immune to grab. Almost every character has access to a power that moves either another party member or the enemy, which autobreaks grabs.

Any thoughts?

Try restraining them from time to time instead.

Really though if the PCs are good at something you shouldn't punish them for it, even though it frustrates you as a DM. I should know as my own group were pretty much imune to grab themselves, I also had a PC who was seemingly immune to push, pull and slide (magic item).

Its frustrating, but its what makes them heroes!

vic20

Fool
Almost every character has access to a power that moves either another party member or the enemy, which autobreaks grabs.

Technically, it only autobreaks if the movement results in the party member ending up outside the range of the grabbing power/effect.

Not that this really speaks to your concerns about the ease of which players can get free, but it's something.

Fridayknight

First Post
Try restraining them from time to time instead.

Really though if the PCs are good at something you shouldn't punish them for it, even though it frustrates you as a DM. I should know as my own group were pretty much imune to grab themselves, I also had a PC who was seemingly immune to push, pull and slide (magic item).

Its frustrating, but its what makes them heroes!

Good ideas. The not punishing is most important - in fact let them go against creatures that grab, its all good fun (for the same reason that a controller has fun in a minion storm). One thing that you could do is to have the forced movement on a creature (immediate reaction - save vs grab).

Im guessing that the immune pusher would be a dwarf?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads