• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Not much interest in the Draconomicon?

Derren

Hero
There is not much talk about the Draconomicon on this board. I wonder what the reason is?

I can't really say as I don't play 4E, but am just interested in the Fluff and Lore in this book. And for the most part its not as good as the 3E Draconomicon.

The information about the physiology is the same as in the 3E book (except for a "medichlorian syndrome" when they want to explain how frightful presence works hoping to give an explanation why it is an encounter power)
The religion is flat out worse than in 3E with only having two gods which don't recieve much pages for them and some exarchs which are just other 3E dragon gods now demoted (and got their race changed because everything has to be chromatic in this book)

There are twoo good bits in the lore chapter of the book, the discussion about how dragons search lairs and an article about their mindset and how they think differently from humans.

WotC avoids one logical error from the old Draconomicon by increasing the young age of dragons (in 3E dragons reproduced faster then elves and likely dwarves too). but does not fix another problem, that they say that uncared wyrmlings have a low survival rate and I have a hard time to imagine of how a pack of level 3-5 elites can't survive in teh wilderness while normal animals can.

There is a section about treasure generation which looks like the random treasure guidelines in 3E. Generally when you have the 3E Draconomicon you don't need it. The chapter also describes using coins as difficult terrain and other obstacles in battle, but then all sample hoards don't have enough coin to actually make use of that feature...

Then you have lots of monsters and some artifacts and example lairs/mini adventures which I can't comment on as to mee all 4E monsters look the same and I don't like the idea of having an level 6 artifact.

Lastly you have example dragons which are entirely unneeded as in 4E you don't have to build dragons anymore. It also spends a few words on famous dragons of various campaign settings which doesn't tell you more than their race and that they do generic draconic things. Also their fluff is vastly inferior to their 3E fluff. For example Dargototh (Wyrm of the North, freely availiable on the website) went from "Ancient wizard dracolich who wants to sire the perfect dragon race and thus experiments with becoming alive again and mixing different dragons into the perfect mate" into "Dracolich which has minions steal things from Waterdeep".

Finally, as simulationist gamer there are two things in the book which get my hope up that after all the complains WotC might think about throwing the at least a single bone to simulationist play.
First the feary dragon looks like WotC went a little away from their "You don't fight it, you don't need it" principle as I can't imagine that many people will fight generally peaceful feary dragons.
Second, and more importatnly, the book has rituals designed to be used primary by dragons and there is a suggestion in it how to regulate which dragon can use which ritual.
Also, hidden among flavour text, they give dragons away to boost their stats by magical items.

So partially I could understand if there isn't much interest in it. When you have the 3E Draconomicon all you can get are some monster stats and mini adventures which you could also get from Dragon and Dungeon.
Ultimatels I didn't buy the book because even though I am a dragon fan(atic) as I don't play 4E I don't get much use out of the book as so much stuff overlaps with the 3E Draconomicon which I have.

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
I would absolutely love to talk about it, but fact is, the shipment has been delayed (I assume for Europe, or at least northern Europe) and it is at the present time, impossible to buy in my country.

Giev! :.-(

Serendipity

Explorer
Speaking for myself, no there really isn't. But then I wasn't terribly interested (read: didn't read or buy) in the 3e Draconomicon either.
By way of actually attempting to be helpful, I swear there were a few posts about this about ten - twelve hours ago, not that I can find them now......

From my PoV, I already know how I want my dragons to be, which is to say "not fiends". If thinking differently means thinking differently from a powerful human intelligence-level beast, then I'm not interested. So it's not useful to me as a DM.

Also, I do not want to see any dragon-themed stuff for PCs. (As a player, I have no interest in being dragonborn or anything draconic.) And I'm not interested in making such crunch available for players either - like in 3.x, I'm avoiding buying splatbooks.

JackSmithIV

First Post
There is not much talk about the Draconomicon on this board. I wonder what the reason is?

Hey, I started a thread about Tiamat (which got forked twice and evolved into more edition wars)! Mainly I think there's just not enough to disagree about, which is a huge thing in the forums these days, unfortunately. I'd love to be talking more about this supplement. I'm simply amazed by the amount of content. It's simply packed. I'm not even much of a dragon fan, but the books gives me so much to work with, I can't image not using it.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
To be honest, I have no idea how these books (3e or 4e) sell any copies whatsoever. The utility of such books around the table is, I would think, very limited. There are better options if one is looking for leisurely reading.

So, no - not interest in Draconomicon. Not in the old version of D&D, not in the new.

WP

Tuerny

First Post
I have the Draconomicon and love it. Granted a big part of my love is all the draconic monsters. I am smack dab in the middle of a dragon-focused adventure with a cleric of tiamat and everything, and using the material from the book will be very handy. It is even such that I am thinking of making one of the major campaign hooks be a war against the clergy and dragon servants of Tiamat. Granted, this requires player buy-in, but I think I can make them a fun threat regardless of how much the PCs want to have the campaign be about them.

Derren

Hero
From my PoV, I already know how I want my dragons to be, which is to say "not fiends". If thinking differently means thinking differently from a powerful human intelligence-level beast, then I'm not interested. So it's not useful to me as a DM.
Thinking differently doesn't mean that they think completely alien. They just have different experiences. For example, because dragons don't have a society and can do whatever they want, they don't understand the concept of peer pressure or social norm. Unless a dragon had previous experiences with human culture it can't understand why humans can't simply steal, kill or do some other things because of social norms.
Also, I do not want to see any dragon-themed stuff for PCs. (As a player, I have no interest in being dragonborn or anything draconic.) And I'm not interested in making such crunch available for players either - like in 3.x, I'm avoiding buying splatbooks.

The 4E Draconomicon does not have much PC stuff. The only things are that PCs can use dragon organs to empower rituals and can get 3 dragon related artifacts (one more suited for dragon slaying).
Some of the rituals can be used by them, especially if they are a dragonborn and have a breath weapon, but they are rather useless for adventurers.

I guess all the PC related dragon stuff (besides Dragonslayers which according to this board appeared in Dragon) will be in the Draconomicon 2 (if that book will come out. There aren't many general things left to say about dragons).

I want more reviews by people who do not play the game, nor buy the book. I mean, what better way to judge if it useful...

I guess that means that you will write a full review when you get your copy?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads