Notes and Queries - Literary and Historical Questions Seeking Short Answers

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Whats the book title... is it Enter A Murder or Nursing Home Murder..( one of those?)

Enter a Murderer.

I don't know whether you're reading a hardcopy or a digital copy, but with digital - even a high-quality ePub - there's always the possibility that it's an OCR error.

Doh, I hadn't thought of that. It's on a Kindle. I will see if the library has a copy

Nigel ( in about 1935) remembers something that happened to him as a SMALL BOY so the date we are talking about is probably 1920 ish! .. and im sure the Beatles arent THAT OLD!!!!!! fizz it must be....

He also would have needed to see it in person, or read an account about it, because it certainly wasn't on TV.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Apparently "Pop" is also the informal name of the "Eton Society". Depending on how posh the characters are, it might be a reference to that?

This might do it! Need to check more, but gods might be what the chief prefect students were called at Eton.

Edit: And here's one with "gods of Pop".

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Asked family about it no one knew.

American schools have prefects? Mine did, school uniform pull ya socks up, Ye Olde Stuff upper lip, abuse the students etc. Victorian era architecture, mentality, start and cane the students until 1986 officially fire a teacher in 92, for using the cane.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I'm reading a Ngaio Marsh book from 1935 - NZ writer, detective story set near London about that time - and I have no idea what the phrase below is, and Google failed me. Thanks for any help!

The scene is a coroner's inquest, and the friend is an inspector from Scotland Yard testifying.

"Nigel watched his friend, and experienced something of the sensation that visited him as a small boy, when the chief god of Pop walked on to a dais and grasped the hand of Royalty. Alleyn described the revolver, and the cartridges—.455."

This might do it! Need to check more, but gods might be what the chief prefect students were called at Eton.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Some pop culture event that would have still been famous and well known as of 1935, so the author figured that the average reader would understand what was being alluded to. An Eton boy marrying a royal, perhaps? Or receiving some great state honor or award? "walked on to a dais and grasped the hand". Sounds like some kind of ceremony.

American schools have prefects? Mine did, school uniform pull ya socks up, Ye Olde Stuff upper lip, abuse the students etc. Victorian era architecture, mentality, start and cane the students until 1986 officially fire a teacher in 92, for using the cane.
Not generally, but in some old-fashioned private boarding schools, generally for rich people.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Sounds like you're on the right track. Some pop culture event that would have still been famous and well known as of 1935, so the author figured that the average reader would understand what was being alluded to. An Eton boy marrying a royal, perhaps? Or receiving some great state honor or award? "walked on to a dais and grasped the hand". Sounds like some kind of ceremony.

Not generally, but in some old-fashioned private boarding schools, generally for rich people.

Ah our school was public complete with school song, hymn book, god save the queen and rule britania and a pipe organ.

Ryujin

Legend
I recently rewatched "Slaughter House Rules" and they made vernacular reference to "house gods", which would be the upper classmen of each house.

Ryujin

Legend
Ah our school was public complete with school song, hymn book, god save the queen and rule britania and a pipe organ.
For those in the US or who for some other reason don't know, in The Empire a "public school" is what you would generally refer to as a "private school." School uniforms, storied and ancient legacies, etc., etc...

Davies

Legend

Then this is probably it, then. As a student at Eton, he saw one of the chief prefects shake hands with royalty. That makes much more sense in this context, where he's seeing someone he knows involved in something highly official.

If anyone ever puts together an annotated version of Ms. Marsh's writings, I hope they read this thread. ;)

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I remember bribing prefects with candy to get out of detention as they had access to the paperwork.

Growth spurt age 14 or so and hit current height age 15 or so and they left me alone after that.

Remove ads