Notes for a New Campaign City, Parsantium

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Here's a picture of Old London Bridge circa 1600 showing the gates and buildings which covered it
p98y.jpg
these might be appropriate on either or both of your bridges (especially I think the Imperial city side.

Also if you really want to make the divide between the two cities an issue you could restrict access across the Imperial Bridge. ie the Imperial Quarter is usually off limits to the commoners unless they have 'special business'. However the gates are opened during the Chariot races as the whole city comes into the Imperial Quarter to celebrate itis during this time that lots of intribue is possible.

I also like the idea of the old docks being used by smugglers, pirates and other conspirators...

RichGreen

Adventurer
Tonguez said:
Also if you really want to make the divide between the two cities an issue you could restrict access across the Imperial Bridge. ie the Imperial Quarter is usually off limits to the commoners unless they have 'special business'. However the gates are opened during the Chariot races as the whole city comes into the Imperial Quarter to celebrate itis during this time that lots of intribue is possible.

I also like the idea of the old docks being used by smugglers, pirates and other conspirators...

I like both of these ideas -- maybe some kind of pass is needed for the Old Quarter residents to come to the Imperial Quarter, but not vice versa. The Old Docks could be quite an atmospheric location and there are obviously pirates and other vagabonds sailing in the Corsairs' Sea.

Happy New Year!

Richard

Leif

Adventurer
RichGreen said:
I like both of these ideas -- maybe some kind of pass is needed for the Old Quarter residents to come to the Imperial Quarter, but not vice versa. Richard
To pull that off well, you'll obviously need a way for the guards to recognize, at the merest glance, who "belongs" to what quarter. Perhaps they just make a quick assumption based upon a person's cleanliness and manner of dress? That could lead to some clever burglar-types getting all "duded up" and infiltrating the Streets of the Rich and Famous, which might lead to all manner of useful scenarios.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Leif said:
To pull that off well, you'll obviously need a way for the guards to recognize, at the merest glance, who "belongs" to what quarter. Perhaps they just make a quick assumption based upon a person's cleanliness and manner of dress? That could lead to some clever burglar-types getting all "duded up" and infiltrating the Streets of the Rich and Famous, which might lead to all manner of useful scenarios.

Since many of the residents of the Old Quarter will be Sahasran in ancestry and therefore darker-skinned than the Batiarans of the Imperial Quarter, some of the guards may well make some racist assumptions about who lives where.

Richard

RichGreen

Adventurer
Updated overview of the city

Hi,

Here's an update to the city overview. More to follow:

Parsantium
Metropolis, Conventional, AL LN, 100,000 gp limit, Assets 380,000,000 gp, Population 76,267 (racial mix tbc but includes dwarves, half-orcs, halflings, gnolls; few elves or gnomes)

The Free City of Parsantium stands astride the wide and slow-moving Dolphin Strait where the Griffin Water joins with the Corsairs’ Sea, and is thus at the crossroads of two continents and more importantly, four trade routes. Parsantium and its surrounding countryside and farms is ruled by Basileus (“sovereign”) Corandias XVIII the Lion-Blooded, direct descendent of the famous Batiaran conqueror and mighty general, Corandias I the Magnificent. Corandias’ wife, Thecia, is often referred to by disgruntled citizens as “that scheming enchantress”. The Basilieus is advised by his loyal vizier and wizard Arridaeus, himself a descendent of Corandias the Magnificent’s vizier. The day-to-day administration of the city is delegated to a Prefect, the coldly efficient and uncharismatic Bardas.

The city is divided into three quarters, each governed by a tribune and reporting to Bardas the prefect. The Imperial Quarter is on the north-west side of the strait, the Mercantile Quarter is on a central island, and the Old Quarter is on the southeast side. These quarters are further divided into wards: eleven in total. The layout of the city and the fact that the Batiaran rich tend to live on the northwest side of the strait while the poor (many of Sahasran or Akhrani origin) live on the southeast side makes Parsantium a divided city. This is made worse by restrictions on commoners from the Old Quarter visiting the Imperial Quarter – they need a pass which is only issued for those on “special business”. Unsurprisingly, there is a thriving black market dealing in stolen or forged passes, and many would-be burglars disguise themselves as nobility to sneak into the Imperial Quarter. However, since many of the residents of the Old Quarter are Sahasran in ancestry and therefore darker-skinned than the Batiarans of the Imperial Quarter, some of the guards are known to make racist assumptions about who is a commoner and needs to show a pass.

The three sections of Parsantium are joined by two vast stone bridges, built many centuries ago in the Sahasran style. The southeast bridge has apartment blocks lining each side with an arcade and small shops beneath. The northwest bridge is grander and lined with sculptures of past rulers. Made out of copper, these have turned green with age. Both bridges are crowded from dawn to dusk; street food stalls have sprung up along each to take advantage of the passing trade. Parsantians can enjoy kebabs on skewers, squab-on-a-stick, cheese pastries, thick hunks of bread smeared with tomato paste and olive oil and stuffed vine leaves.

Life in the City
- Each city ward is walled with arches and gates (locked at night) separating it from its neighbours and contains a communal well, at least one khanduq (walled marketplace) or market, and a watchtower. The ward’s mark (a symbol) is set high on the walls, facing in.
- The south-east gate is a chaotic jumble of camels, bullock-drawn carts, crippled beggars, snake charmers and eunuch/transvestite hustlers. By contrast, the Victory (north-west) Gate is much more peaceful and organised. What few beggars (mostly kids) are chased away by the guards whenever a noble is carried past on her palanquin.
- Outside the coffee shops, old men sit grumbling about the state of business, smoking sheeshah and playing backgammon.
- Throughout the city are numerous bathhouses where men and women can bathe and exercise. The grandest of these are in the Imperial Quarter and are decorated with beautiful mosaics and sculptures of poets and mythical heroes.
- Currency is the gold piece, known as the bezant.

Any comments or suggestions?

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Your city sounds GREAT!! I wanna spend my next vacation there, pllllleeeeeease???? Seriously, if you have an open slot for a player, please consider this my application.

What races will be permissible for pcs besides human, dwarf, and halfling? The reason I ask is that a Gnoll fighter or rogue sounds very intriguing to me... If that won't fit then my second choice would be either a human or dwarf rogue, preferably multi-classing with a touch of fighter here and there.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
hmm if your using three quarters where is the last one?
is it hidden? perhaps underground? or shunted to another plane? Is the fourth quarter only social affiliation, like prostitutes or a secret guild that protects some dark secret, from the cites past? Or a class affiliated quarter? mages, psions and thieves are all good candidates.
Or quietly controlled by monsters such as Rakastas, a dragon or a lich?

Endless possibilities really.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Leif said:
Your city sounds GREAT!! I wanna spend my next vacation there, pllllleeeeeease???? Seriously, if you have an open slot for a player, please consider this my application.

What races will be permissible for pcs besides human, dwarf, and halfling? The reason I ask is that a Gnoll fighter or rogue sounds very intriguing to me... If that won't fit then my second choice would be either a human or dwarf rogue, preferably multi-classing with a touch of fighter here and there.

Thanks! I would be delighted to have you as a player but geography is going to be the issue here - I'm in London! I haven't really got any experience of pbem but maybe this is something to think about?

Need to think about races. This might end up being my first 4e campaign so I'd like to make all the 4e Player's Handbook races available but I don't see why a gnoll wouldn't be possible. There are some in the city although there would be a fair amount of prejudice, particularly in the Imperial Quarter.

Cheers

Richard

RichGreen

Adventurer
Evilhalfling said:
hmm if your using three quarters where is the last one?
is it hidden? perhaps underground? or shunted to another plane? Is the fourth quarter only social affiliation, like prostitutes or a secret guild that protects some dark secret, from the cites past? Or a class affiliated quarter? mages, psions and thieves are all good candidates.
Or quietly controlled by monsters such as Rakastas, a dragon or a lich?

Endless possibilities really.

Thanks! Some really good ideas here. There could well be a Hidden Quarter and having a connection to the city's past would work with one or two of the ideas I've had about the Sahasran refugees who founded Parsantium centuries ago. There are going to be rakshasas in the campaign, definitely.

Cheers

Richard

Remove ads